Vertical slate cladding

BMcN

Evening, 

Our build will have some elements of cladding just to break up the render.  We had been looking at marley cedral, pvc or larch. 

However after seeing some photos on here I quite like the Marley vertigo slates. 

Does anyone have more info on the details, particularly around windows.  Also I have only ever saw pictures of full walls done, never stopped mid wall and transitioned to render - can this be done? 

Attached a couple of snips from elevations to show the sort of detailing that would be req. 

Screenshot_20190430_163857.jpg

Screenshot_20190430_163926.jpg

We have vertical slate cladding on our place.  We used the Marley corner trims, but not the slates due to the incredibly long lead time - they aren't used much in the UK and so need to be made to order in France.  We used SVK slates which are almost identical but easier to get hold of and a bit cheaper.

We're sorting out the window trims this week - I'll post on the blog once we've decided on the final finish, but it's likely to be powder coated aluminium to match the frames.

Thanks @vivienz it was your blog I saw them and liked them.  

Do you have any trims in mind that you mentioned @makie ?

Looked at the Marley trims for the cladding and the provide a starter trim, but this isnt very high so I don't see how it would work butting up to the render when the slates require battens and counter battens.  Would provide quite a depth difference.

3 hours ago, BMcN said:

Looked at the Marley trims for the cladding and the provide a starter trim, but this isnt very high so I don't see how it would work butting up to the render when the slates require battens and counter battens.  Would provide quite a depth difference.

If you have different cladding and you want to maintain a flat finish between them you may need to increase the batten size for the render.

Hardie also do starter trims, corners etc in varying depths.

9 hours ago, BMcN said:

Thanks @vivienz it was your blog I saw them and liked them.  

Do you have any trims in mind that you mentioned @makie ?

I would say it would depend on the render finish, colour etc. Most UPVC suppliers will have a form of trim that would work with them.

I know that it is usually done with battens in England but could you not do it the Scottish way and slate directly to the wood boards? or is that against building control down there?

Render will be wet dash or possibly a k-rend or similar, so I'd expect 20mm depth. @Mr Punter the render will be directly onto the block work so cant adjust its finished depth really. 

I'm in Scotland makie and the slates are direct to the sparking boards for the roof, but it's ventilated from underneath, this wouldn't work on the walls. 

12 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We have in the past used 75mm blocks for slate hanging and 100mm for render so they match depthwise.

Just to clarify, you mean battens at 75mm for the slate, but how is your render 100mm depth?

4 hours ago, BMcN said:

Just to clarify, you mean battens at 75mm for the slate, but how is your render 100mm depth?

Nope, use 100mm wide blocks for the outer skin with render on, then use 75mm blocks for outer skin with a batten on and slate, this will bring the finish depth out to roughly the same. 

I'd have to check with my architect to see if this is allowed. 

Other open I considered would be to render it all then have the cladding on top, so it would be purely for aesthetics.