Privacy issues

deuce22

Hi.

I have now found out that the concerns the neighbours have are down to privacy. It's difficult to get to the bottom of everything because even the planner is not being honest with me. It feels like she is trying to keep the privacy issue away from me, but keeps asking for amended plans to show the impact of the property it will have.

Does this proposed plan seem unreasonable? There is a windows on the 2nd floor, just below the ridge height, but she has asked me to obscure it. As far as I can see the only relevant windows would be to the first floor and the garage will be in the way. The house is also over 30m away.

Thanks.

IMG_1316.jpg

We had a privacy issue raised by one neighbour.  It turned out that a large part of the problem was that they couldn't visualise the true sight lines from the plans, and were assuming that there would be a direct line of sight from their bedroom windows to ours.  For other reasons (all associated with the inability of people to interpret plans) I chose to make a scale model, which worked really well in damping down possible objections.  Being able to see on the model that our detached garage effectively screened the view caused the privacy objection to be withdrawn.

This is the model I made:

5740095253079_Model-SWView-small.JPG.5476662dbbb7fbff7651aa7b9f32c111.JPG

This makes me laugh, look at most housing estates and tell me they take sight lines into account?. We also had a neighbour who objected to our new drive as he said headlights would shine in their kitchen, on appeal (which we won) the appeal officer said they were too far away and any way their headlights would equally shine our way!!!.

That model is excellent, but I honestly don't think it'd make a difference to the neighbours. They haven't communicated with me from day 1 and i just think they don't want any development going on. I thought that there would be some sort of planning rule where you have to be so far away if privacy is an issue. It is laughable, there are 2x 3 storey new builds 100m away that are looking into neighbours gardens/back windows, almost identical to what I'm proposing.

There deck area has been elevated, so it's higher than there house floor level. They only have a small wall, but I will be putting 6ft fencing up and so it will be difficult to look directly into their garden.

Even though it is a 3 storey property, there is only one window on the top floor and it is obscured glass. 

9 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

Even though it is a 3 storey property, there is only one window on the top floor and it is obscured glass. 

it looks fine with that distance and obscured glass looking onto them, i can't see what the issue is.

Privacy was raised with us. And summarily dismissed by the planner as: 'Too far away'  At 10 meters. 

Property owners often  think they own everything within sight of their house. They don't. Neither do I.

Relax. The planner needs to be seen to address issues raised. Thats all.

30 meters? I mean seriously? 30 meters?

Obscure the window, get the permission. Move on.

4 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Privacy was raised with us. And summarily dismissed by the planner as: 'Too far away'  At 10 meters. 

Property owners often  think they own everything within sight of their house. They don't. Neither do I.

Relax. The planner needs to be seen to address issues raised. Thats all.

30 meters? I mean seriously? 30 meters?

Obscure the window, get the permission. Move on.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

After her drip feeding me problems for 3 months and me finding solutions to them, she then asked if I could get a cross section plan. I asked her why it had taken this long to ask me and she didn't give me an answer. It was only when I read the comments from the neighbours (that weren't easily accessible, I had to go into the council and read them on there computer) that I realised it was because of them. It has now been going on for a further 2 months. I've agreed to remove the balconies, obscure the glass and drop the house 1m and she's still coming back and forth with things. 

I asked on here because I wanted to know if there was a planning rule about distances. I've never dealt with anything so inefficient and inconsistent, it feels like she's making things up as she goes along. I'd definitely use a planning consultant if I did this again.

Thanks.