Exterior cladding

davejura

Hi folks. Looking for advice / opinion on exterior cladding systems for a 2 storey timber frame house on the west coast of Scotland. I know someone who is using this http://www.gti-direct.com/category-details.php?id=698 on top of sarking which is fixed on 50mm battens to give a cavity. They will then render directly on to the board. I like the look of this as it is something I could do a lot of the work on, plus you get an extra layer of insulation so hopefully should need less in the kit. Just waiting to hear back from the mortgage company as to whether they will lend on it!

Another option I have been looking at is the Knauf Aquapanel system, but this looks expensive. Has anyone had experience with either of these systems or similar? Really looking for comparisons with a standard concrete block and render system and to whether the figures will stack up. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Still looking for help / advice on this. The ECAP system is proving complicated due to the ventilated gap being inside the insulation, so will gain no benefit from it (it will just basically be a carrier board). Architect isn't happy with an unventilated gap or no gap at all, unless we use a cement board under the ECAP. Now looking at using Cedral for exterior cladding. Could anyone recommend a build make up using this system? At the moment, my architect says we will need a 2.5kw solar PV system which we are trying to avoid. Was thinking 140mm frame with 120mm Kingspan, and another external layer of insulation outside the OSB board. This can then be battened for the Cedral boards (or cement boards if planning don't accept Cedral). Any input much appreciated as this is starting to do my head in! A concrete block skin is looking more likely!

If you want lenders to be happy, insurance to be happy, and a fairly cheap system, go with what is standard.  Rendered Blocks you mentioned might be your best option.

Price wise they are fairly cheap and I don't think you will find a much cheaper system without comprising the mortgageability or limiting your Insurance options.
I these two are not important to you, there are endless options, including stapling carpet tiles to your walls like

Them

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread as we are finally getting things moving. Just trying to decide between Cedral or Hardie planks (Cedral have been a nightmare to deal with so far, via Jewsons). Be interested to hear from anyone who has used either system. Cheers.