Bedroom ventilation vs Road Noise

mike2016

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure out what level of noise I might experience if I install a unit to improve the air quality in my bedroom. Currently it has a fixed vent into which I installed an acoustic insert to dampen road noise outside (no, not newspaper which was there previously!).

Most of the units I'm looking at such as the Mitsubishi VL-50S2 and Vent Axia units have a 100-120mm vent to the outside and I'm worried getting this installed will fix one problem but cause another! 

Has anyone experienced adding such a solution to their room / house? The specifications only relate to the noise from the unit / fan itself, not what's transferred from outside.....

Thanks! 

I've a semi detached, I'm in the room closest to the road. The gable end is 9 meters away from the road. Prevailing winds are to the front of the house. Sometimes they hit the gable. 

In the case of my bedroom I've the two worst walls, closest to the road and prevailing winds. A fitted wardrobe prevents me moving the vent further away from the road along the wall. 

I could run a duct to a soffit as far from the road as possible, that would prevent the need to knock a hole in the gable wall....not sure if I should go with a small MHRV unit then and do a few rooms upstairs or just get my bedroom sorted. It's not an airtight house as you might gather! But that's exactly the sidewards thinking I was hoping for here!! 

MVHR Old House.jpg

There's a number of routes - open up the vent with a more purpose built duct that is acoustically shielded. That is only going to help so far. All the kitchen smells end up in my room and I'm living beside a main road, all inwards pressures on my air quality - see graphs attached. I was considering a more active air filter for my room to provide positive ventilation but again increasing road noise and attracting higher levels of PM2.5 from the road is a concern. 

Currently I'm looking at PIV unit in the attic to push G7 filtered air at positive pressure into the landing above the stairs, it's self install and cheaper than the single bedroom unit I was considering. 

SNAG-0003.jpg

SNAG-0002.jpg

SNAG-0001.jpg

SNAG-0000.jpg

MVHR Old House.jpg