Demolition

As things progress with the plans and spec with the architect my mind has allowed itself to let in a few more parameters to think about.

The current property on the site is a wooden framed 1 1/2 storey clad with cement and pebble dash render. Unusually from what I read on BH our proposed new build is actually a smaller footprint than what it is replacing, although admittedly two full storeys.

I am trying to get an idea for the demolition costs to add into the project totals and wondered if there was indeed a ready reckoner for such things or if it was location related etc?

I was also contemplating doing the demolition myself but understand that there is now much legislation around processing materials, sorting grading and recycling that make things fairly complicated.

We demolished a conventionally constructed bungalow ourselves.

Getting the services removed/relocated was the biggest game for us, the unexpected asbestos soffits was the biggest and most costly surprise.

We got on the roof to remove the roof tiles and slid them down scaffold planks laid on ladders (worked really well). They were very common concrete tiles and initially no one wanted them, for money or free, but we did finally find a taker who removed them from our site. The roof timbers were removed and stored on site, many have been reused in making a welfare unit (shed) and WC (smaller shed) that is plumbed into the existing main drain.

All the Critall windows were removed and all pipes and wire  - in fact anything with metal in it, and sold to the local scrap metal dealer, which produced quite a surprising return.

The walls were knocked down with a mini digger and loaded by hand into an enormous ro-ro skip at the 'clean inert waste' rate. It then got muddy, very muddy, and we ended up with a few skips with mud and rubble which cost significantly more to get rid of. Quotes from local skip firms should give you some figures

Regarding legislation obviously you'll need the planning permission and then the Section 81 demolition notice but we never got round to the 'method statement' for the demolition because it kind of fell down all too quickly, and no questions have ever been asked, but I guess as it was us demolishing our house no one was really that interested.

We are aware of some of the "safer" variety of asbestos within the building as it was investigated by the vendor before being put on the market. I have been given verbal quotes from £3000 - £8000 from sources that know of the place but cannot work out if these were just "finger in the air" type figures or there was a national average.

I do actually think that I would enjoy the demolition side of things but personally equally hate the rules around it!

1 minute ago, EverHopefull said:

I do actually think that I would enjoy the demolition side of things but personally equally hate the rules around it!

Aside from the services, asbestos, and the Demolition Notice, we didn't knowingly follow any other rules.

As I said, the services were a pain to co-ordinate and pricey. The asbestos was expensive. Submitting the Demolition Notice was easy. Demolition was the easiest.