Servicing my digger (Kubota 20-3 Alpha)

ToughButterCup

" No, we don't do service checklists " was the somewhat sleepy response when I asked if the Service Department provided owners with a checklist. 

I'm having my digger serviced this afternoon (2250 hours service) - and it suddenly struck me, that the engineer could just turn up, drink tea and leave: I probably wouldn't notice the difference. The service isn't cheap, and I want to evidence how well I've kept my little digger for when the time comes to sell her.  Yes, I'll have the invoice: but what's wrong with a checklist?

Am I being too much of a Bosch - too rools and guidelines-ish ? When yours was serviced, was there a checklist? 

As you know mine was old and cheap.  I serviced it myself.  Because when I bought it, there was absolutely no history I serviced it straight away.  That consisted of engine oil and filter change, and because of the unknown age, engine cam belt as well.

Surely there will be manufacturer recommended service intervals for those at certain engine hours?

There will also be other things (that I never did) like hydrauilic fluid filter changes and even replacement of the fluid at longer intervals. And engine coolant replacement etc, just like any other engine.

Other stuff like all the grease nipples is more regular daily or weekly servicing.

As above he will just swap out the engine oil and hydraulic oil and if needed coolant. He will have a checklist of  all the hydraulic connections and will check these for leaks. The 90 degree bends on the boom are usually the first to go. He should check the track and carrier rollers , the big rollers that make it move, for any wear as these aren't cheap to replace. Should check the track tension as well. 

The carriage bearing underneath as well. 

Is he an authorized dealer type service guy or some one who knows some one??

When finished he should have a fair collection of used oil and empty grease canisters. 

the price should give you a good idea on what he is doing --coming to your site i would guess they will be charging £70+ an hour  ,if its a dealer and not just a non franchised mechanic 

yes there will be a service list you can get from the maker if you hunt about ,giving hours when things should be done 

failing that you won,t go far wrong changing oil+filter once a year on any type of car or equipment 

oil is the blood of the engine --so nice and clean is the way --cheapest of spanners you will ever buy  is regular oil + filter changes