1.5 storey new build, timber frame or masonry?

We finally have our decision notice, Outline PP granted for a single storey or 1.5 storey dormer bungalow. The plot is suitable for a good size house, with a 3 acre field and as we are wanting to build a home that we will live in for the rest of our lives we are looking at a L Shaped 1.5 storey 4/5 bedroom dormer bungalow circa 250sq metres plus a large detached double garage with upstairs gym/ storage.

We have no drawings yet but are currently in talks with a local architect and we are getting quotes for surveys etc. 

We have some fairly standard conditions to follow and we will be looking to submit the reserved matters in the next few months hoping to make a start spring next year or sooner if possible.

Regarding the garage, I know what I would like and I would build that using traditional block method. But the bungalow we only have some ideas so far and I'm completely torn between timber frame and block methods.

Surely the advantage of a timber frame isn't as advantageous in terms of speed/cost when building a bungalow as the roof structure is entirely timber anyway? 

Could anyone with any experience in Dormer bungalow construction be it timber frame or masonry give me their thoughts?

And finally any inspirational self build dormer bungalows especially L shaped design photos would be fantastic!Screenshot_20180406-235700_Word.thumb.jpg.294953f9c67a8a65eb78fc0c3432006f.jpg20190208_110139.thumb.jpg.25750b064c2c1843c13c6b15d50dabaf.jpg20190208_110040.thumb.jpg.4a00d382a4cf961612c8812f7f03c49a.jpg20190208_105915.thumb.jpg.33bd580b6eaeb511bbe11799b4062ec8.jpg

• Like 1

This is not really in favour of any build method, as you can do this with any method.

But we are the same 1 1/5 storey but boring old rectangle.

This time I wanted to avoid dormer windows. They always present awkward details, and some awkward to get to bits for maintenance. And inside you still end up with a lot of restricted headroom.

So this is what I did.  I first saw this style on the Isle of Sky. It is less common over hear on the east side.  But it removes that awkward gable detail, and gives you a hell of a lot more usable headroom upstairs.

render_13.thumb.jpg.cea5af7d13b618d9be2dc67192f6d94f.jpgrender_10.thumb.jpg.f439d462caa80f55213e2d6d671b30e0.jpg

It is in effect big dormer windows but instead of putting a side on them, you continue the slope all the way down.

The whole lot is a cut roof hung from a big ridge beam running end to end, and smaller ridge beams for the "dormers"

The whole lot is done as a warm roof and one bedroom we chose to leave open all the way to the ridge, with a mezanine floor over the adjacent small bedroom, while the third bedroom we chose a high ceiling to still give some loft storage above.

• Like 2

First you will always be more exspensive with a TF house 

But The handy thing with TF is you can get on with the inside we’ll before the outer skin is complete 

TF easier to make airtight 

Brick or Block More solid Less cracking 

I’m familiar with both 

But decided on BB

Time wasn’t really an issue 

But from foundations to watertight 

on a 3000 sq foot house was 8 weeks Jan to Feb 

But that’s with the inner and outer leaf complete 

I’d get some a few quotes for both 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nod said:

First you will always be more exspensive with a TF house 

But The handy thing with TF is you can get on with the inside we’ll before the outer skin is complete 

TF easier to make airtight 

Brick or Block More solid Less cracking 

I’m familiar with both 

But decided on BB

Time wasn’t really an issue 

But from foundations to watertight 

on a 3000 sq foot house was 8 weeks Jan to Feb 

But that’s with the inner and outer leaf complete 

I’d get some a few quotes for both 

Was that a full height 2 story or dormer bungalow?

What a glorious site, even though it a bit rainy up there; you should be able to grow champion marrows in your field.

1 hour ago, Olly P said:

upstairs gym

I would consider that *very* carefully, unless you know exactly what you want and that it will never be anything involving weights.

An extended garage with a thick slab, or other building with such a floor, is a far better option for a gym.

(Writing as part owner of a gym that started out upstairs).

It looks like a dream project.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Mine is a block and block chalet bungalow in a L shape. It's a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom unit with 2 large bedrooms upstairs. The out side of the L is a big sunroom approx 5m X 5m.

The main advantage I would say with block construction is you aren't having to pay out large sums of money straight away. If you are going to manage the build then it's a week by week cost for labour and then the purchase of what ever materials you need. 

With timber frame you will need to find a considerable amount more out less straight away. 

I didn't build any dormer windows as they are tricky to detail correctly so have roof lights in the roof plus large windows at both gables. I also went with attic truss to get the roof on quicker than a cut roof. The only thing I would change would be I would have made it a warm roof construction but at the time money was tight so want an option.

As far as good insulation and airtightness both are possible with either method on construction. Each will need specific detailing no matter way you go.

I have a single storey TF.  If I were starting again I would use block and brick.  The advantages of speed with TF were not apparent on mine, it may be so for a full two storey but for us single storey limited walls (lots of glass) and us doing roof separately as TF co was not able to do meant watertight took ages.  We could have done it quicker, cheaper and easier in B&B.

We built a 1 1/2 storey timber frame, and the really big advantage for us, building in winter, was that it took 4 1/2 days from the moment the frame truck arrived to the moment that the house was erected and waterproof.  The truck arrived at 08:00 on Tuesday morning, and the house was watertight by midday on Saturday of the same week. 

Had we been building in summer this may not have been so useful, but having the house watertight quickly in winter was a big bonus, and allowed us to crack on with the build through some pretty foul weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

We built a 1 1/2 storey timber frame, and the really big advantage for us, building in winter, was that it took 4 1/2 days from the moment the frame truck arrived to the moment that the house was erected and waterproof.  The truck arrived at 08:00 on Tuesday morning, and the house was watertight by midday on Saturday of the same week. 

Had we been building in summer this may not have been so useful, but having the house watertight quickly in winter was a big bonus, and allowed us to crack on with the build through some pretty foul weather.

Yes thats the most tempting part for us as to get the build on its way so quickly, but in the same breath we are not in a huge rush. Still 50/50 in my mind between B&B and TF!

Could you post any pics of your build so far?

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

What a glorious site, even though it a bit rainy up there; you should be able to grow champion marrows in your field.

I would consider that *very* carefully, unless you know exactly what you want and that it will never be anything involving weights.

An extended garage with a thick slab, or other building with such a floor, is a far better option for a gym.

(Writing as part owner of a gym that started out upstairs).

It looks like a dream project.

Ferdinand

Yes its usually windy and rainy up here ! The site is pretty exposed too so we are going to have to brace ourselves for the bad winter weather but hopefully the views and sun in the summer will outweigh it. 

We are very lucky to have the plot with now secured OPP. It was a battle and the neighbours weren't and probably still won't be happy but Im sure we will sort things out overtime. Maybe I can grow some marrows for them!

3 minutes ago, Olly P said:

Yes thats the most tempting part for us as to get the build on its way so quickly, but in the same breath we are not in a huge rush. Still 50/50 in my mind between B&B and TF!

Could you post any pics of your build so far?

The link in my sig below goes to our build blog, which has lots of photos of the build.  The link directly to the frame erection entry is: http://www.mayfly.eu/2013/10/part-eighteen-a-house-in-4-12-days/

• Like 1

I can only second what @Ferdinand said about having a gym on a ground floor. I understand nobody is going to suffer the sound of a running mill in the garage but the load is quite substantial and working out in a gym when the floor is noticeably moving with any jump is not fun. 

We had the gym on the first floor in previous house....it was over the dining room that was hardly ever used and it was a solid brick house with no stud walls all were block which may have made a difference to sound.  We also had very good solid floors so we didnt need to reinforce.