Hearth

I am taking an old oversized hearth out before fitting my new Firefox 5 gas stove.

The original one is made up of about 5 very chunky stone slabs. I have had a look at getting a T shaped marble hearth but its quite expensive.

Ive seen pictures online where people have just tiled the hearth area and was wondering whether this might be an option?

Could I just cast a concrete hearth slab to the size I need and then tile it? If so is there a particular type of tile which needs to be used? Ceramic/porcelain?

http://4elements.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/wood-stove-hearth-ideas-gallery-for-burning-burner.jpg

http://teknimak.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/slate-tiles-fireplace-slate-tiles-fireplace-a-fresh-slate-hearth-for-wood-stove-google-search-slate-tile-fireplace-design-ideas.jpg

The installer manual says it needs to be a non-combustible surface and then goes on to say if there is a concrete surface this could be sufficient.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, nod said:

A T shaped piece is exspensive But looks great 

I’m a tiler but decided to cough up the £290 quid for a T shaped Black Slate 

Though it does look nice 

The main problem with tiles is the edge isn’t finished 

unless you build an upstanding Say 100 mil

069D23C3-E4F1-401B-857D-882E99D143DE.jpeg

In our last house we went for a different approach.  We cast a concrete slab and tiled it, but with a bit of care, we set the concrete slab just a little lower than the wooden floor so when it was tiled, the finished tiles were dead level with the wooden flooring.

I remember the BC inspector muttering something about there should be a step, but he passed it anyway.

2 hours ago, nod said:

The main problem with tiles is the edge isn’t finished 

unless you build an upstanding Say 100 mil

069D23C3-E4F1-401B-857D-882E99D143DE.jpeg

It does look good but I am literally redoing the whole house in one go and didn't really consider all the additional costs when I picked up the gas stove... chimney lining kit, fireplace lining, hearth etc, so just trying to keep them down wherever possible. I think some dark charcoal tiles would look quite good and I was thinking of having a tiled upstand of about 50mm which is the approx height inside the actual firebox. that way I don't need to remove it and can just take the old slabs off in front and cast a concrete slab for the new front part before tiling everything. Also allows me to chase into the slab for the small gas pipe to run because the Firefox 5 gas inlet is right in the centre of the underside. 

Is there a special kind of heat resistant grout for this kind of application or would normal grout be ok?

52 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In our last house we went for a different approach.  We cast a concrete slab and tiled it, but with a bit of care, we set the concrete slab just a little lower than the wooden floor so when it was tiled, the finished tiles were dead level with the wooden flooring.

I remember the BC inspector muttering something about there should be a step, but he passed it anyway.

That sounds quite nice but I am carpeting the floor so I will have a bit of a step up. 

What kind of tiles did you use?

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

We were tempted to site ours on the tile floor 

Installer said it would be ok 

BC wanted 15 mil

Just now, nod said:

We were tempted to site ours on the tile floor 

Installer said it would be ok 

BC wanted 15 mil

A house near me (that I wired) had the stove sat straight on the tiled floor (tiles laid on concrete screed) and BC signed that off okay.

Thanks for the replies all.

Hearthstones are out. I was going to leave to leave the original firebox slab but there was a huge step up so its all out now and level with the room. I will cast a concrete T. 

Good idea about the pigment, I was just looking into whether I might be able to polish after casting but looks like you need an actual polisher rather than an angle grinder that I have. 

I guess I will see how well the cast turns out with black pigment and then decide whether to leave it or tile it.

IMG_1558.JPG

I was thinking last night...

The gas pipe will come down that old water pipe channel to the right of the fireplace.

The Firefox 5 gas inlet is right in the middle of the underside of the fireplace so the gas engineer will need to run the pipe from the channel to the fireplace centre. I would like this to be inside the concrete I cast so it can't be seen.

So  I will remove that last bit of a brick stack at the bottom in between the two, cut a channel in new bricks to be laid, and run some kind of conduit to the centre so the engineer can just feed the gas pipe through when fitting.

The intake of the fireplace is 8mm so I assume it would be ok to run 15mm down the vertical channel, then reduce down to 8mm for that last 600mm or so? Or do you have to have 15mm right up to the inlet and then reduce it?

I was thinking of just putting some 15mm copper pipe as the conduit so 8mm can just feed through it. But also not too sure if that is ok? I guess being under the fireplace, that would mean the copper outer pipe will heat up and the air in between the 8mm gas pipe and the outer 15mm will be hot while in operation too?

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

I don't think that will be acceptable. It would be worth asking whoever is fitting it before making any such decisions 

Which part? Using 8mm instead of 15, or running through a conduit? 

I dont have anyone lined lined up to do the gas work yet.

I'm not GasSafe registered so I don't know all the regs.

Concrete will corrode copper pipe.

8mm will be fine for that fire.

The duct would probably want to be Tracpipe,  you could lay this yourself, but once concreted over the Gas safe fitter won't be able to see what the duct is made of and that is complies with the regs. If you get someone out to the job now, explain what you are intending he might have a couple of feet of suitable ducting which he would let you fit and be happy to come back later ti make the connection.

Not sure what sort of look you're aiming for, but in our previous place we had a brick hearth that looked good.  Now we have a wood burner on 12mm tiles on top of screed that BC were happy with.

In terms of the finish I think I'm decided on trying to cast the concrete block. If it doesn't turn out so good ill just tile it.

I came across this thread where someone has cast a block. I really like the black colour before it dries. I will just try add lots of colour powder.

http://www.likeacupoftea.com/our-dyed-concrete-hearth-lessons-learned/

The only open question I still have is about the type of conduit used. Researching online, it doesn't seem to be copper being in contact with concrete which is the problem, more when there is steel rebar/mesh, there is a galvanic corrosion happening between the two metals. I don't think I can avoid putting some reinforcement inside.

Clearly can't use a plastic sleeving under a stove.

Yesterday's gas safe engineer said to just use a larger copper pipe but not sure about it personally. I will contact some fireplace installation places and see what they say I guess.

5 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

If he's happy with 22mm copper then go for it. I would wrap in duct tape to keep the wet concrete off it for piece of mind

Would Denso tape be better?