Bog Lane Build

Dave and Helen

I'm hoping this site will be both a source of inspiration and a shoulder to cry on over the coming months, if not years. 

My partner Helen and I purchased a disused Severn Trent Pump House and DSR (Distribution Storage Reservoir - great big concrete water tank) back in February 2018. The half acre plot came with full planning consent to renovate the existing brick Pump House, build a new section to link the Pump House to the concrete water tank and to convert the tank into living accommodation. It was a very contemporary, flat roof design, not really us, so we've spent the last year coming up with a new scheme and starting to clear the site ready for the build, once planning have given their seal of approval.

This is the first time Helen and I have taken on a project like this. We've both undertaken extensions and small alterations in our separate lives, before we met, but nothing on this scale. Whilst a slow start, this has given us time to think. I can't count the number of visits we've made to the plot with a picnic in hand, to sit on the grass roof of the tank and get a feel for the place and to imagine what it would be like to live there.  

We've also had time to look into the history of the site and helped by John Simpson from Severn Trent Reunited - http://www.st-reunited.org.uk, we've been able to find out quite a lot. We've even had the pleasure of meeting the children, who's father worked there and his father before him. Some of the old photos have also been passed on, a lot of which are on the reunited web site, but I'll post some of these as we progress. 

I've attached a few images of the site, as it was when we purchased it back in 2018. We've since removed the earth banks from two sides of the tank, so I'll upload some more recent shots later. 

We're both very excited about the build, but realistic about the challenges ahead. We couldn't have wished for a better location and the opportunity this has given us.

Happy days! 

Dave & Helen 

pumphouse1.jpg

pumphouse4.jpg

DSC05339-75.jpg

DSC05301-37.jpg

DSC05297-33.jpg

DSC05318-54.jpg

DSC05320-56.jpg

pumphouse3.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your involvement on this forum, remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking and you will get shedloads of knowledge from the many members.

I think this looks great, and searching for press coverage it was nice to see some non-sensational accounts of the planning process in the local media.

Quite close to me, too.

And some nice precedents from quite early Grand Designs.

Best of luck.

Ferdinand

Thank you for all the kind messages. It is exciting and will be a challenge, but one thing's for sure, we won't be applying to be on Grand Designs. 

I remember looking up 'What do you get for being on Grand Designs' and someone came back with the comment, nothing, but you get a really nice video of your house being built! 

The new plans have yet to be submitted to planning, so I'll hold off posting any until we know where we are with this. 

Starting a blog of the build sounds like a nice idea and I'll also take a look at https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/profile/206-jamiehamy/ blog to get an idea. 

Dave C

23 minutes ago, Dave and Helen said:

What do you get for being on Grand Designs' and someone came back with the comment, nothing, but you get a really nice video of your house being built! 

a visit from building control after the program to tell you it don,t comply