Garage Kit or Builders

Ralph

Hi all

I’m hoping that we will be able to build our detached garage at the same time as our house. I was going to just get a wooden kit from somewhere maybe 6m x 8m for about £8k.

Thinking about it a bit more I’d prefer to get something that’s more along the lines of an insulated workspace / garden building but still be able to take a car into to work on it on cold days etc. I hate the terms ‘man cave’ but really that’s what it is.

Question is, would I be better getting the builders/joiners to build me something a bit more substantial from scratch then line and insulate it myself down the road?

Either way it will need a concrete pad and electrics, plumbing is probably a stretch.  I’m still thinking wooden with corrugated steel roof.

Any thoughts?

I would think the wooden kits will have very poor structure to the walls so adding insulation will be a pain, gat a proper frame built and insulate it to a good spec. 

As a side thought, can you insure a wooden outbuilding for contents insurance, I know my insurance company insists that it is brick built if covering tools. 

get the workers to build a 145mm timber kit, clad it with osb and give it a coat of shed paint to keep it until you can clad it with something like a profile aluminium cladding for the walls and roof. i wouldn't go down the route of corrugated roof without a sheeted roof due to condensation. can be insulated at your convenience.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would think the wooden kits will have very poor structure to the walls so adding insulation will be a pain, gat a proper frame built and insulate it to a good spec. 

As a side thought, can you insure a wooden outbuilding for contents insurance, I know my insurance company insists that it is brick built if covering tools. 

Good points, I had not thought about insurance either. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

get the workers to build a 145mm timber kit, clad it with osb and give it a coat of shed paint to keep it until you can clad it with something like a profile aluminium cladding for the walls and roof. i wouldn't go down the route of corrugated roof without a sheeted roof due to condensation. can be insulated at your convenience.

Any thoughts on a sqm cost for that type of thing with sheeted roof? Cheers