Should I tile Ensuite Wall?

I can't decide if I should tile the wall I have highlighted green in the ensuites? The only reason I would tile the wall is to help keep the wall clean.

I want the wall to look like a white painted wall, I have managed to find a large format matt white tile, however this is more expensive than simply painting the wall. Also the tile is 600 x 600 whereas the rest of the tiles on floor and shower area are 750 x 750.

I don't like it when part of a wall is tiled, or there is a  tile upstand above the basin, so it's basically all or nothing.

Do you think I need to tile the wall or would a washable paint be OK?

The basin and toilet are both wall hung.

I have highlighted the shower screen with purple.

429913233_showerwalltiling.png.4ab92814f43d8dd9a3b85aeab90e7607.png

1 minute ago, Nick said:

I've had this in a previous building and the painted wall always ended up looking grotty.

If not tiles, then maybe a glass splashback?

Is it just grotty where a splashback should be? If it is I would maybe consider using a 100 mm upstand that is the same material as the sink. Do you think 100 mm would be sufficient as that is the only height they do?

This is the basin that we will have.

sink.thumb.PNG.d3bdfc4438988d26bd03f428a684c86e.PNG

• Like 1

In that area you should run the same tile that's on the wall of the shower area, but step down to the height of the window sill.

If you don't want that same tile then just paint, a different tile will not look right. Be prepared to repaint frequently.

Look at basins which keep the water in a bit more with up stands etc. Depending on your design /modern/classic finish.

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/premier-carlton-2-tap-hole-basin-with-pedestal-2-size-options

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

After years cleaning grout out and retiling for myself and others, I now hate tiles. I have used aqua wall board in both my new bathrooms and they are great and sooo easy to clean

Can you share any photos please? I had looked at some of the aqua panel options, however didn't like the joins between panels.

16 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Is it just grotty where a splashback should be? If it is I would maybe consider using a 100 mm upstand that is the same material as the sink. Do you think 100 mm would be sufficient as that is the only height they do?

This is the basin that we will have.

sink.thumb.PNG.d3bdfc4438988d26bd03f428a684c86e.PNG

100mm probably not enough to be honest.

Tended to be grotty 300-400mm above the sink.

I'm planning on putting glass splashbacks on absolutely everything when it comes to my build - can't tile to save my life.

What is the width of the washbasin?

I think that several things could work as an splashback there.

1 - Large format tile. Ideally a single tile, or two, about 100mm or half to two thirds of the way to the taps, or past them (Can you put something behind the taps etc - ie will they come forward by 5-20mm?)

2 - Glass. Could be coloured or annealed.

3 - Something like a sheet of stainless steel or anodised ally. Powdercoat may not be good enough. Copper would be tempting, but would not match the taps. Perhaps something with engine turning?

I think various colours could work or a pattern.

On MultiPanels that could be from a single piece or the whole wall. If a single if it is just the splashback it might look chunky-clunky, though their edgings are in satin or gloss alu iirc, and would match. If you use the version with aqua-lok joints, they are invisible unless you choose a strange pattern.

If you want, you can have them printed with a roomsize photo of your own. 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Can you share any photos please? I had looked at some of the aqua panel options, however didn't like the joins between panels.

Yup, I used aqua panel like @JSHarris but managed to use whole sheets for the showers so the only join was in the corner.

48668BE7-0A3B-496A-9147-30C86E204641.jpeg

I also used smaller pieces to make the basin splash back to match

image.jpg

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

Re: Large tiles.

You could use what I think they call "plank" tiles, which come in sizes such as 1000x200. A single one might do it.

Or something like this - a 600x600 white tile, which could be sliced in 2 and give 1200mm run at any depth up to 300mm.

https://www.tiletown.co.uk/en/alaska-white-floor-tile

One sample might do it.

F

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

100mm probably not enough to be honest.

Tended to be grotty 300-400mm above the sink.

I'm planning on putting glass splashbacks on absolutely everything when it comes to my build - can't tile to save my life.

Can get 140mm splashbacks in glass in a number of colours. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Multipanel, that's what we have.

Get it from a builders Merchant, Jewsons stock it, a lot of the "bathroom" showrooms charge very inflated prices for it.  Available in loads of colours and patterns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will have no choice as the wife will insist on full tiling or some sort of panel system along with toilet that is wall hung and no small corners where she cannot get to easily to clean .

and i think she is right, plenty of space round things --why make it hard to clean when you starting from new

• Thanks 1

My wife insisted on every piece of the walls and floors being tiled in bathrooms and ensuites. We did this excluding areas where there are mirrors.

TBF the issue with part tiling things is where does it make sense to stop/start.  As you say a couple of tiles above a sink doesn't look great.

Any wall behind a sink and WC will get wet. This needs a proper waterproof covering, whether it be tiles/panels/glass. Otherwise it will look bad over time. You are going to need to cover the wall to above the taps. Are you not planning a mirror? I would tile to above the taps, then have a mirror cut to go in the space between the tiles and the ceiling. I don't have a finished picture to hand, but this is what we did and there is now a mirror in the space above the sink and WC.

IMG_9002.JPG

That is a lovely sink and taps. You are probably talking only around 2.5 sq metres of tile plus a mirror to finish it off.

Why will the tiles be a different size? Why can't you continue the tiles across the wall from the shower?

If the walls aren't tiled yet i would also put a niche in the shower to hide bottle of shampoo etc and I would put the controls for the shower opposite the opening if possible. We have done this in most of ours, we only realised too late that we couldn't do it in the shower above due to the wavy tiles not being flat enough to put the controls on.

Edited by AliG
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AliG said:

My wife insisted on every piece of the walls and floors being tiled in bathrooms and ensuites. 

I insisted on this too despite the OH’s attempts to persuade me otherwise. Resistance was futile of course (on his part) ?

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2019 at 18:57, Red Kite said:

I liked the sink unit- can you share where it comes from? How does the waste work? 

I would want a splash back to above the taps as I think you will need it. 

The sink is from Lusso Stone, it's a bespoke variation of this design https://www.lussostone.com/vanity-units-c11/lusso-stone-thinn-slimline-double-basin-draw-vanity-unit-1200-p465

If you go to the link above you will see various images and drawings of the sink, including how the waste will work.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. 

We have decided that we will go with floor to ceiling large format tiles, which should reduce the amount of grout.

The photo below is the look we are aiming for.

251416914_ScreenShot2019-04-25at23_05_08.thumb.png.f69d39dd5d1299bc41440121f97ee579.png

1186644956_ensuitetiles.png.6d8485c769fea3f4c11fbb79b1aa89d0.png

The green walls will be 750 x 750 matt white tiles.

The floor will be 750 x 750 Imola Ceramica Lime-Rock tile below (as will be most of the flooring in the house)

Screen_Shot_2019-04-25_at_23_04_32.thumb.png.b2724288ed8a2ba32f3f8963b8091d9b.png

The yellow wall will be a feature wall using the darker Lime-Rock below.

1180650890_ScreenShot2019-04-25at23_04_08.thumb.png.e8dea2f62441a2f52cf2bf3f938d6e82.png

Good choice.  For balance, I ordered enough panel boards for two showers (Mermaid trade I think).  I did one, and returned the rest...  (visible joints, difficult to fit full floor-to-ceiling lengths).  It pi$$es me off every time I look at it, but I'll have to live with it for a while.  Much happier with the other one I had tiled.  The rest of the rooms are just skimmed and painted, with the exception of approx 150mm splash-backs; its ok, but doesn't match the look of fully tiled.

Edited by Roundtuit
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ultramods said:

The sink is from Lusso Stone, it's a bespoke variation of this design https://www.lussostone.com/vanity-units-c11/lusso-stone-thinn-slimline-double-basin-draw-vanity-unit-1200-p465

If you go to the link above you will see various images and drawings of the sink, including how the waste will work.

I like that.

But "50% less to £800". Er .. ouch.

Probably needs the VAT Reclaim ?

And I need a vanity one mainly supported from the floor.

F