Next steps after planning

Cheib

Hi, 

We’re working with an architect who we feel is strong on design and we’re relatively confident of getting PP having had a good pre-planning meeting with the local planning office. Importantly they are designing a house we are very excited about. I think we’ll be submitting planning in the next couple of months but am willing to delay that to make sure of come critical cost based decisions first. The main issue for me is at this stage is which construction method to use, to be honest the guidance from the architect we’ve had so far is not definitive and I feel I need some professional advice on this. The project is a large one....house will be circa 600 sqm including basement so 10% variation in costs will be a six figure sum. I also don’t think our chosen architect is going to be strong on some of the technicalities and I am thinking of going with someone else for the building regs, tender/construction drawings.

My feeling about the architect has been borne out because by sheer fluke we’ve met and got to know a family who are currently on site with the same architect and certainly they don’t think the tender/construction drawings were in sufficient detail and also had some technician errors which resulted in 4 weeks of work on some walls being reversed! Apparently said drawings came with T&C’s which meant they weren’t liable for errors.

So, I know a QS is the person to engage for costs estimating and management but who/what is the best route to go for deciding on construction method ? Once that is done appointing an Archtectural Technician or similar for the detailed drawings ? I have read an awful lot of the fantastic information on here but still feel that it would be worth having some professional input. The people mentioned above that are on site have a house with a concrete basement, which has a steel frame on top but such is the amount of timber that has been specified in the construction of the walls/insulation that the warranty company is classifying it as a timber framed house. Their strong advice is go with brick and block because that’s what most builders know and are happiest to quote for ! The house will be contemporary but likely will be clad in brick.

First and foremost, I'd say the time to get a QS involved is now. They are basically cost engineers and the earlier you get their input on a project, the more potential there is for them to pay for their fees by saving you money. They should be experienced with builds in your area and have some background knowledge on what options come out cheapest.

There is a lot of overlap between project managing and quantity surveying on smaller jobs - finding an experienced person that can do both would be a good option.

If you have no real preference on build method and no serious time constraints then brick & block is always the safe option. More quotes to choose from, less bespoke details that need calculations, e.t.c.

• Like 1

Architect is a practice, we’re dealing with one of the three partners. However, originally met with one of the other partners but the one we are dealing with is now our only real contact.  We have met other clients, who are happy but I suspect they have used one of the other partners. They’re a decent firm, have several Para 55 houses built so well used to getting difficult projects through planning. I need to find a QS anyway so that is clearly the right place to start, if they have a Project Managment as[etc to their expertise all the better!

We’re on the Bucks/Herts border if anyone could recommend a good one ! 

My thoughts are that design should be done hand-in-hand with the construction technique - as each method will have it's own peculiarities or limitations and these should be factored into the thought process early.

In our case we knew we wanted timberframe and basement using ICF / waterproof concrete. Our architect then designed and detailed in collaboration with the appropriate suppliers.

I employed a PM from pre-planning through to watertight shell, then managed it myself from that point on. The package included QS, and they guided me to some cost optimisation opportunities, plus were able to provide key contacts e.g. basement supplier and contractor. PM me if interested.

3 hours ago, ragg987 said:

My thoughts are that design should be done hand-in-hand with the construction technique - as each method will have it's own peculiarities or limitations and these should be factored into the thought process early.

Agree entirely. I did one recently where there were brick dormers and dormer cheeks shown on the architects plans, but nothing by way of showing how these could be constructed as this was room in roof and space was at a premium.

Changing the dormers to timber framed and lead clad meant they could be built up off doubled up 8x2 rafters, fully insulated with 120mm of PIR in/over the framing. As drawn, they couldn’t be built in brick and block without some serious engineering challenges and compromises to floor space. 

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

Agree entirely. I did one recently where there were brick dormers and dormer cheeks shown on the architects plans, but nothing by way of showing how these could be constructed as this was room in roof and space was at a premium.

Changing the dormers to timber framed and lead clad meant they could be built up off doubled up 8x2 rafters, fully insulated with 120mm of PIR in/over the framing. As drawn, they couldn’t be built in brick and block without some serious engineering challenges and compromises to floor space. 

Another example of architects not being in the real world, I also had a customer (years ago) who’s architect did exactly that, I changed the plans to what could be built and sent them back with a snotty note. My customer asked “why didn’t the architect know that? ?

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

Another example of architects not being in the real world, I also had a customer (years ago) who’s architect did exactly that, I changed the plans to what could be built and sent them back with a snotty note. My customer asked “why didn’t the architect know that? ?

This i exacly what I am worried/concerned about. I feel I would rather have two pairs of eyes looking at the drawings now so these issues hopefully get picked up before they cost real money if changed once on site. 

3 hours ago, Cheib said:

This i exacly what I am worried/concerned about. I feel I would rather have two pairs of eyes looking at the drawings now so these issues hopefully get picked up before they cost real money if changed once on site. 

Post them here and you will get many pairs of eyes and loads of suggestions ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

Post them here and you will get many pairs of eyes and loads of suggestions ?

We’ve just had a re-vamp of the design, have a follow up meeting with the architect in a couple of weeks. Once we’ve done that will post some of the drawings up.