Have you entered any Awards?

Has anyone entered any awards with your self-build? Or been entered by anyone else?

I do not mean TV; I mean things (picking an example out of the air) like the Brick Awardsrun by the Brick Development Association.

There are also local awards and the Civic Trust Awards, which are for a "contribution to the built environment".

Presumably there are also awards for contributions to ecology etc.

What was your experience?

Ferdinand

An architect friend of mine’s build is one of 12 finalists shortlisted for the RIBA awards 2019

He put it forward himself because as a recently self-employed architect it’s a great endorsement of his work but having made the shortlist he’s expected to attend the awards dinner, which is pretty expensive.  Not even the winner gets a free pass to that.

Awards schemes may be nice, but not always free to take part.

• 10 months later...

Not quite but  i won a UNESCO - Award of Distinction - built heritage projects over 1million dollars  - but it was for a stone walking track I built ! Did take me six years...... but gave me the money to buy my site ! 

Edited by Cpd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cpd said:

Not quite but  i won a UNESCO - Award of Distinction - built heritage projects over 1million dollars  - but it was for a stone walking track I built ! Did take me six years...... but gave me the money to buy my site ! 

You got $1M? 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

You got $1M? 

Well no _____ the cost of the project was over one million I was the main contractor. When your using helicopters to bring all your materials in one million + is a tight budget. 

• Like 3

We've been entered by our architects for the RIBA 2020 awards, but all the regional shortlist announcements have been postponed. RIBA are now putting a big emphasis on sustainability for the awards, which is good for us. So finger crossing will be for longer than expected....

• Like 1

our architect has mentioned that maybe we could think about entering in to awards once the build is finished. I assume from that that he's very happy with the design he came up with (as are we). fingers crossed the planning department like it and we can get it built. then we can think about awards but it's something we hadn't even considered until the architect mentioned it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

@Thorfun it needs to be occupied and then you have a two year window for the awards. By that time the need for sustainability credentials will really be ramped up - ref the RIBA 2030 challenge.

Thanks. I think our sustainability credentials should be up there, apart from the concrete basement that is! ?‍♂️

13 hours ago, Thorfun said:
17 hours ago, Eileen said:

@Thorfun it needs to be occupied and then you have a two year window for the awards. By that time the need for sustainability credentials will really be ramped up - ref the RIBA 2030 challenge.

Thanks. I think our sustainability credentials should be up there, apart from the concrete basement that is! ?‍♂️

12 hours ago, Eileen said:

We’ve got a concrete basement too - we couldn’t go up so we had to go down!

Make like Hitachi, or .. er .. Albert Speer, you two, and use a 1000 year time horizon in your calculations. Then it is suddenly sustainable. Abracadabra !

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

@Ferdinand - coincidentally, 1,000 years is about the same timeline for our energy savings to pay for the project!

Wassail ! Drink Heil (or rather "Drink Ale")!

(I won't get a Sieg quip in there and survive Deletion by the Buildhub Cyberman ? ? ?.)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...