Ducting Planning Tips

I need to work out my ducting requirements pretty pronto (MBC on site in 3 weeks!), so a few questions then:

1. What colour duct would you put Cat5/6 cables in (wanting a run from the house to the detached garage)?
  2. For the run from the cabinet/meter to the house, should you use the flexible ducting or the rigid polyduct?
  3. If I want to run electric cables to a few points in the garden (lighting and power), can they all exit the house in one duct and then split off outside of the slab or should they be separate ducts from the house?
  4. Similar question to #3 for water

I know everyone says put more duct in than you think, but any tips from those that have done it before gladly received!

1. I would use grey, same as telecoms

2: flexi is fine, avoid sharp bends and install a draw string ready to pull the cables.

3. Yes single exit duct is fine, but it gets harder to add a new cable as it fills up so best to plan ahead and pull them all through together. SWA does not need to be in duct in the ground it is suitable for direct burying.

4: I would exit the house with 1 pipe and put a number of boundary box stopcocks to make your own distribution system to feed water to wherever you need it. (that is exactly what I did, one to feed the stand pipe, one to feed the static 'van, one to feed the house)

Don't forget "other stuff" e.g in my case the satellite dish will have to be remote from the house (too many trees) so I have a duct for aerial cables etc.

3 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

I need to work out my ducting requirements pretty pronto (MBC on site in 3 weeks!), so a few questions then:

1. What colour duct would you put Cat5/6 cables in (wanting a run from the house to the detached garage)?
  2. For the run from the cabinet/meter to the house, should you use the flexible ducting or the rigid polyduct?
  3. If I want to run electric cables to a few points in the garden (lighting and power), can they all exit the house in one duct and then split off outside of the slab or should they be separate ducts from the house?
  4. Similar question to #3 for water

I know everyone says put more duct in than you think, but any tips from those that have done it before gladly received!

1. Green

2. Black twinwall with yellow marker tape over 

3. Yes - but use SWA / Armoured and plan it carefully. 

4. No duct needed, just use 20mm MDPE

• 3 weeks later...

So, here's my thinking so far. Ducting to/from the house is through the MBC slab

• electric (meter cabinet is by the plot boundary)
    • 2 x 110mm duct from cabinet to plant room (feed and return)
    • 63mm duct from cabinet to garage
    • 63mm duct from cabinet (spare)
    • ???mm from house to garden for lighting and power
    • ???mm to the kitchen island (25mm rigid polyduct?)
  • water
    • 63mm duct from main to house
    • ???mm from ??? to garden - not sure where to route this from. Should it come from the house or can it be teed off before the feed enters the house?
    • ???mm from ??? to garage - not sure where to route this from. Should it come from the house or can it be teed off before the feed enters the house?
  • BT
    • duct 54 to plant room
    • want to also route ethernet from house to garage, but not sure how best to do this without another duct. Are there tee pieces for duct 54?
  • Misc
    • duct ??? for coax cable from aerial at bottom of garden

Anyone care to fill in the blanks and suggest areas I've overlooked?

• Like 1