Mixergy anyone ?

On 14/04/2020 at 18:45, joth said:

That report is interesting, as it shows that a standard tank's usable volume decreases as the flow rate increases (as expected, more turbulance results in loss of the thermocline), whereas the Mixergy actually has a slight increase  in usable volume as the flow rate increases. Any idea why?

1345178676_Screenshot2020-04-14at18_35_38.png.186487cdf3e2e7abbbc3a6fe537885a9.png

Couple interesting points on this from the report:

- It states: "The Mixergy Tank is a hot water tank that makes use of a novel inlet diffuser and angled heating element scheme to increase the utilisation of stored water within a domestic hot water tank"

- It seems they used a Newark tank as the reference "standard" tank (going on Table 7 & ? so does make a direct comparison of the two

- The tests were carried out by Newark on their premises (but under instruction of NPL), so not entire independent, but  sure what more to read into that if anything.

Looking at that graph, the increase with the Mixergy tank is within the error bars meaning it's statistically not important and may well not appear were the same tests run again. 

2 hours ago, benp1982 said:

Looking at that graph, the increase with the Mixergy tank is within the error bars meaning it's statistically not important and may well not appear were the same tests run again. 

Yes good point, @Tom had the same thought:

On 15/04/2020 at 10:31, Tom said:

Yep, looks like it. If you look at the error bars the upward tick at 15kg/min is not statistically significant

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I don't understand the y-axis "Usable Hot Water Mass per Installed Mass (kg/kg)".

Both cylinders are above parity.

It's likely referring to 465L@45C (usable after mixing) from a 300L@60C tank (installed).  Something along those lines anyway..

• 1 month later...

Are there any good suppliers of the Mixergys that I can talk to? I've gone through the process of looking at the Sunamps, Ariston Nuos and similar heat pump cylinders, and also separate cylinders and heat pumps. This product looks good, particularly with its relatively low cost combined with the fact that I expect to have a lot of surplus solar for 8 or 9 months of the year.

9 hours ago, Mugwanya said:

Are there any good suppliers of the Mixergys that I can talk to

You can talk to them directly, but a quick look at their website this morning and I see a lot of words saying you may, can, might save some energy.

It is just a water cylinder after all, my water cylinder 'stratifies', just like everyone else's.