Cess Pit Adventures

Onoff

41 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Then why replace it?, get the cover sorted (you have enough to do on the rest of the house!!,!,!,)

Ah the vortex.

Happy memories. With graphics done on a BBC Micro. And I think Bonnie Langford.

The lid - yes, fix it. We had one in the middle of a field where some scrote had dropped the rectangular lid inside years previously. There should be a law for all sceptic tanks to have circular lids.

Nothing in U.K. regs about having to upgrade to sell if it’s a standard septic with a leach field or similar. I would be looking at elsewhere on the plot and putting in a parallel system and moving the drains over with plenty of space for further development. 

One word of caution though - there are a lot of things you can’t put into a treatment plant system ….. may want to discuss with the ladies of the house before you make any decision ….

I've got a single  brick chamber like that. I have improved its performance by repairing the in nd out pipes, and diverting some rainwater connections. The final soakaway is on neighbouring land and inaccessible, so it blocking with muck overflow was a worry, but after the one and only clean out, the soakaway has also sorted itself.

If I was to look to improve the performance then I would look into adding an extra small treatment, after the brick one has done the first sort.

We got a signed statement from the previous owner that the 'country septic tank' had been in use since way back and the drainage authority dropped their initial demand for a new digester.

An apparently nice man turned up and emptied the cess pool. SWMBO was there and dealt with it. Reckons he was sucking up "bricks and glass" and "got out what he could".

The guy was very concerned about the state of the lid and reckon it's been left too long to repair. Don't suppose she mentioned we only found it in 2019!  😂 Insisted he put "something" over it when finished so she found him a pallet.

Said their sister company does "macerator" installs according to SWMBO but I imagine he said / meant treatment plants. They will come and do the dig and install etc.  Might get a no obligation quote though from them.

Tbh my BiL has diggers etc so would likely look to do it myself with input here from the clever folk.

If I go that route I'm favouring the Vortex unit as others have said.

On another forum somebody has said not to get an "electric one", that there's "lots to go wrong" and to not believe the salesman's spiel.

I've gone back and countered I'm considering the Vortex based on people on here who have them that I know and trust and have had them for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On another forum somebody has said not to get an "electric one", that there's "lots to go wrong" and to not believe the salesman's spiel.

That might be referring to something like the Biodisk.  Someone near here has one.  If has a huge rotating drum with assorted paddles on it to agitate the contents and that is driven by a motor and gearbox.  Twice in the time I have known her, it has failed, once it was the motor burned out and the second time the gearbox had seized.  Both times I declined to do the repair.  Whoever did it would have needed wellies or waders and a strong stomach to get down inside it to unbolt the motor / gearbox assembly and take them away for repair.

I will stick to having to maintain an air blower pump in it's own little enclosure away from all the nasty stuff.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On another forum somebody has said not to get an "electric one", that there's "lots to go wrong" 

The only electrics in a blower one is the small air pump, they are usually made in Japan and mostly used fir coy carp ponds and been around  for years. I bought a spare diaphragm for mine  (a few quid) as that’s about the only thing that can go wrong.

Edited by joe90

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The only electrics in a blower one is the small air pump, they are usually made in Japan and mostly used fir coy carp ponds and been around  for years. I bought a spare diaphragm for mine  (a few quid) as that’s about the only thing that can go wrong.

As I understand pool  / fish tank air pumps, it is only the disturbance at the surface that causes oxygen to mix with the water. The bubbles from the bottom are for show.

In a sewage digester I guess and hope that the bubbles also keep an area of the surface clear of crust....I have had 2 installed for clients but never went back to look.

I just replaced a fountain pump. £15. Air pump prob similar cost. So that will be the easy answer for any digester breakdown, even a revolving drum type.

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Whoever did it would have needed wellies or waders and a strong stomach to get down inside it to unbolt the motor / gearbox assembly and take them away for repair.

Farmers die doing this type of thing with slurry tanks and equipment. Unless there's a safe way of maintaining them I don't know why these types of plant are still produced. Probably breaches confined space rules.

30 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

As I understand pool  / fish tank air pumps, it is only the disturbance at the surface that causes oxygen to mix with the water. The bubbles from the bottom are for show.

Well no, although an air pump it actually (somehow) pumps water (sludge) from the bottom of the tank to the top and periodically pumps the crust of the settlement tank back onto the rest (note to self:- find out how an air pump can pump water!,!).

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Onoff do you actually want to spend £5000 minimum on doing this or is it cheaper and easier to just empty it every year for £200. 

If necessary yes. If the lid is as ****ed as I think it is. It might not stand up to having another slab cast on top.

My neighbours is under his drive and of similar vintage. It collapsed when he drove over it in his Range Rover.