Cess Pit Adventures

Onoff

12 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why?

What you say is fine if all you have is a hole in the ground tank. If you've got a treatment plant then you want someone who knows not to shove the sucking pipe down where the air pipe is and break the air pipe.

49 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

That is true, but he hasn’t he has a cess pit. 

I don't tbh even know if it has a bottom or is open to the dirt below, nor whether there is an outlet pipe of any sort. Suspecting not. No idea of the size / capacity either. I only just found it this year.

Start sucking you will soon find out, we have 3 on different properties

i got one sucked out only to find huge slabs of concrete 1mx2m laying at funny angles in the bottom it turns out when they built the new one the couldn’t be bothered to remove the old one and just pushed it in the middle of the hole. 

I would suggest getting a man around with tanker and start sucking, you will soon get an idea as one chamber empties it will flow in from another, you will see if it is ground water coming in as it will obviously be a bit cleaner. 

One of mine will only drop 2 feet and then ground water pours in from the leech field flowing backwards, so we concentrate on sucking the solids from the bottom, get 1000ltres out and give up, if you carried on you would need to empty every lake within a few miles. 

Get sucking boy. ???believe me it won’t get better by ignoring it. 

• Like 2

Update. First place I rang offered "up to 2000L removed" for £155. Could do "sometime within the next 10 days" or I could book from 10th Dec. Told them I'd get back to them.

Second place, £120 for up to 2000 GALLONS. I asked them to repeat it. They're coming Saturday morning in the "3000" tanker. Fingers crossed on the access. They come with 100' of hose as standard and can go up to 200' if needed.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

They're coming Saturday morning in the "3000" tanker. Fingers crossed on the access. They come with 100' of hose as standard and can go up to 200' if needed.

I’m bracing myself for the shitty pictures to follow! ??

29 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you found all the inspection covers?

have a real good go to find them all, this way you can see flow from one chamber to another as he sucks it out. 

Then as he drops the level you can flush the bog to see where the pipe enters the first chamber. 

You reckon its chambered?

Pretty sure it's just a big, circular brick "beehive". Only one cover at the apex. Open that and it's big enough to fall through. No grate etc. Hand dug in the 50s by a local father and son team who did everything local. I think the "roof" is arched bricks covered in concrete.

Rough plan is this. From right, at the top of the slope is a disused branch that came from an outside loo. Then a manhole where everything goes into at the moment. Way down the garden another manhole with like a P trap and rodding eye in, then the pit. I'd guess the inlet pipe is about 3' down from the apex. All a bit precarious. I have to span with a ladder and walk out on that.

20191125_200623.thumb.jpg.be1c1a12a3089b8b8f8fb991c44734f7.jpg

Edited by Onoff

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have no idea, it’s your house. ??

Lol! I only found where it was this year! "Over there somewhere" was all I knew beforehand. Too full to guess the construction even then.

I thought it was a septic tank that was chambered?

Pretty sure this is one big pit of sh!t.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Pretty sure it's just a big, circular brick "beehive".

In our last Victorian house we had a fifties upgrade which was a small, 8' deep by 4' round solids tank into which everything went. The liquid drained into a much larger square tank about 3000 gallons. When we moved in there was only a manhole cover on the small tank. I later added a cover to the larger tank and a soakaway.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

"Over there somewhere" was all I knew beforehand. Too full to guess the construction even then.

This is after how long living there?

Do I understand that this is where all those dodgy curries and beer went?

And to think I am in Kent on Friday ...

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

That was my thought too! And how does it not smell rank? 

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

And to think I am in Kent on Friday ...

19 years I think it is. 

Coming to Kent? No Room At The "In"!

?

Edited by Onoff

I think I'll do a plan of the plot, where the cess pool, road, boundaries are etc along with an elevation and put to the collective with a view to what's possible treatment plant wise. Fed up with this 3rd world set up.

26 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If it been working for 19 years why not clean it out have a good look do a few repairs and jobs a good un. 

New treatment plant will be north of £2500 time you get it all in. 

Be nice to see in it fully I must admit. They've said £120 but might be I just say "Keep going until we hit £200!" ?

I intend volunteering to haul the vacuum hose and drop it in etc. Bit of a route around bushes etc. 

Access is worrying me but I told them I've 3.6m between the new pillars and space I reckon to pull up on the drive in front of them. 

The condition of the "lid" is the most worrying thing for me. Did think to empty it then cave the roof in and take out the rubble, then cast a new, "safe" lid. 

It's a sh!tty job but someone's got to...

Edited by Onoff