Running toilet problem

vivienz

My aged mother in law has a problem with the loo in her house. A plumber visited recently to replace all new innards inside the tank, including float, arm, etc, and it now has a dual flush mechanism.

Since replacement, the cistern in filling continuously. OH has tried the adjustment screws and raised the float height to no avail and the tank is still running. Unfortunately, the instruction booklet that came with the new assembly has already been lost.

Can anyone give us some pointers as to what we should look at in the tank?

Well you need somebody that understands it.  For some reason the float valve is not turning off, that is either because it is broken or jammed, or it's adjusted wrong and the water reaches the overflow level before it shuts off.

Try pulling the float up as high as it will go.  If the water shuts off then, then it needs adjusting.  If the water does not shut off when you pull the float up, it is broken.

• Thanks 1

my guess is the  cistern  valve washer/diaphragm  is not fitted right or needs replacing .

very temperamental these new style diaphragm washers --

simple job you can do --just find out what make of unit it is --plenty on internet cheap as chips  ,most local hardware shops keep them as well 

Take the lid off and watch where the water is coming from into the pan. 

If it’s over the top of the overflow weir, the float is set too high. 

If its around the bottom of the flush, the flush unit may not be fitted correctly. 

Any chance of a photo..??

The plumber left it like this?

is the toilet fed off mains pressure or gravity fed? New cistern fill valves can have different restrictors to suit either. Retro ones from the usual diy outlets are red and white with different bore sizes and the ones in the new kit could even be a spiral style.

My experience is that not all float/fill valves work properly on gravity fed I.e they need a certain pressure to work. In my en suite every so often you have to keep pressing the button to get it shut off or the toilet just keeps filling/flushing.

As said already, have a word with your relative and get the guy back, he can’t leave it like that.