Chopping back reveal plasterwork without removing windows

gravelld

Want to replace some windows that are currently fitted with straps. Mixture of wet plastering and plasterboard on the internal reveals.

I need to chop back the internal reveals to install the new windows with straps. The new windows are at least 30mm deeper than the current windows.

I need to know if we can chop back the reveal plaster without removing the current windows. Then, when the replacements come and the install team are in place, remove the window and install the new one fixing with straps (making good later).

Or is it best to remove the original windows first?

I'm concerned about security and I want to try to simplify the installation process by reducing dependencies between contractors.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why can't the installers replacing the windows just chop the plaster back?

Unless you've already told them otherwise, I'd consider this a standard part of their job.

Similar experience to you with sourcing refurb

Although it may not help directly - my experience was letting a refurbishment project moving from thinner profile softwood to Alu clad.  Same requirement for cut back to get at straps to remove and then more generally clean up including interior sills out to create an appropriate detail to the new thicker window profile. 

When I set out I thought if all in one wasn't a thing - I would cut the job into "cut back" + "make good" contract (so cutting wisely for make good to be easy is incentivised) and "window source and install" (perhaps with supply separate according to system). Didn't work out so well.   A lot of "if we must at a huge premium" pricing came back from window installers or they refused to get involved with make good.  Finding a local joiner who wanted the work proved tricky too.

One good thing I did pre contract was to get one potential installer (for cash for time) take one out speculatively and put it back - so I could get a look at "what is there" vs what is vaguely described on the drawings.   That saved me a load of trouble with accidently buying windows that would not fit due to the brick line depth being constrained so the compriband would be too far back (that was velfac as it goes - nothing wrong with it just my particular brick/cavity/block in some arches)

It was a hard journey to get a single supplier to do it at all but I got there in the end. Albeit for a premium due to not having 2

Most installer firms expect there to be clean ready to go apertures or a builder - Man with a van thought it was too big and wouldn't quote, most builders thought it was too small and fiddly and wouldn't quote and most installers didn't really want to get involved with this level of complexity. 

In my case the window installer's plasterer is unlikely to be my new best friend either.  Will have to make him some nice cups of coffee.

Midsize family firm with own crew seems to be the sweet spot where a few extra trades doesn't bother them

Good luck.

G

• Like 1

On 01/05/2019 at 22:30, gcm said:

Although it may not help directly - my experience was letting a refurbishment project moving from thinner profile softwood to Alu clad. 

Sorry for the slow reply, only just seen this.

That's what we're doing.

On 01/05/2019 at 22:30, gcm said:

It was a hard journey to get a single supplier to do it at all but I got there in the end. Albeit for a premium due to not having 2

Most installer firms expect there to be clean ready to go apertures or a builder - Man with a van thought it was too big and wouldn't quote, most builders thought it was too small and fiddly and wouldn't quote and most installers didn't really want to get involved with this level of complexity. 

Yep, this is exactly my experience too. Most builders just don't want the chopping back work, and also want to avoid the complexity of working ahead of the installers.

In the end I negotiated with the installer that they will chop back and my contractor make good. They are also due in a week or two to check the nature of the current installation. I did get some ok quotes in the end from contractors for the chop back, but I thought the slight premium to have the installers do it worth it in terms of reduced complexity.