at what cost of mains supply is PV a real option

scottishjohn

looking at a plot .but it is looking like mains connection is  40K  guesstimate cost bracket working on 10K a pole,which i have been told is the going rate

Is purely pv with batteries now a real choice to run whole house ?

like normal mains powered house  with all normal appliances

no problem with space for ground mounted array 

A battery based system can certainly power a house, but PV won't in the UK, unless your a hair-shirt user who's willing to live without power for a large part of the year.

A PV based system with supplementary supplies (i.e. a generator) will certainly work.

58 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Get a proper quote for the power connection before making a decision. Anything else is guess work.

I will of course 

but its a bit of secret service at the moment --don,t want others getting on the trail of this plot,as it is not on open market yet 

i,m sure its the same where you are --even walking the ground is enough to start other locals  on the scent of  of it.

you will be seen by someone 

If it  comes off you will all like it  ,or think i,m totally mad   Lol.

you probably think that now

Edited by scottishjohn

55 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

What about CHP for the winter and PV for the summer.

that had crossed mind ,but last time i looked chp could only give about 1kw  or less. and then theres the lpg  tank  costs 

all ideas welcome 

just a pity no stream on site  as i could get a 300ft drop no problem 

lots  more plotting  if i get it 

maybe could build a wee dam and divert small "issues" as they call them up here into to it

definately having some complicated dreams about this one 

Edited by scottishjohn

If the plot has PP then plenty that are looking will know about it.  I take it you are in discussion with the owner?  

Put a few sheep on it, then any presence of people and you are "tending the sheep"

You say you based your estimate on £10K per pole and there will be 4 poles.  I think that is more than it will be.  For a comparison my friend needed part of an 11KV supply re routed and undergrounded.  It cost £10K to remove 1 pole and re route 2 poles worth of 11KV cable underground.  Underground is more expensive than overhead, so I suspect you are looking at less than £5K per pole  so even if the supply is £20K it would probably be worth it, as long as the plot is not too much.

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If the plot has PP then plenty that are looking will know about it.  I take it you are in discussion with the owner?  

Put a few sheep on it, then any presence of people and you are "tending the sheep"

You say you based your estimate on £10K per pole and there will be 4 poles.  I think that is more than it will be.  For a comparison my friend needed part of an 11KV supply re routed and undergrounded.  It cost £10K to remove 1 pole and re route 2 poles worth of 11KV cable underground.  Underground is more expensive than overhead, so I suspect you are looking at less than £5K per pole  so even if the supply is £20K it would probably be worth it, as long as the plot is not too much.

If its 20k its a no brainer has to be mains 

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 09:39, scottishjohn said:

that had crossed mind ,but last time i looked chp could only give about 1kw  or less

Combine it with battery and thermal storage, plus some PV, probably get 30 kWh/day from it.