Burnt down house - no planning

Grendel

Hello all

we are looking at a nice plot with a burnt down house on it.

they are doing sealed bids in 2 weeks - BUT no planning for any replacement house.

it's in a conservation zone and looks a complete mess.

we are concerned that there is no planning permission (the owners have not applied) for a replacement house.

is it possible the planners would want to leave a village plot with a ruined house?

has anyone heard of a replacement house of some sort being turned down in this situation?

we don t want to spend £££ on a paddock with no possibility of building!!

thanks

Andrew

Check carefully your council's replacement dwellings policy. There have been cases where if it has been derelict for a very long time that permission is refused. If it has only just burned down you are probably okay

+1

In most cases they will allow a house that has recently burnt down to be replaced. However nothing is certain when dealing with the planners. A house a few miles from us has been derelict for some time and the planners have stated that they are very unlikely to allow it to be replaced as it's in the countryside and "wouldn't be allowed now".

Would the plot you are interested in be a candidate for an infill plot if there hadn't been a house on it before? Does the village look over developed (too many infill plots granted)?

The planners are very unlikely to give you an opinion over the phone, let alone in writing, but you can try asking. Nothing they say can be considered binding.

Edited by Temp

Another issue is that even if the LPA allows development, then that my impose strict conditions on the nature of the development, for example that any new build must have essentially the same footprint and elevation profile.  This might be a real PITA if you want a more spacious development which makes better use of the plot.

I'd err on the side of caution as others say. It may be safe to assume what has stood before will be okay for replacement but as terry says may have to be re built the same design and size with it being a conservation area. Are you happy with how the house was prior to burning down?

Also any reason why current owners haven't sorted any planning?

Edited by Oz07

So - replies in no particular order!

My impression from the agent is that the owners (executors) just want a quick sale and haven't bothered to apply for planning for replacement, but plot is priced as if there is planning!

House before it burnt down was not in keeping with village and was a 60's brick house with upvc windows of "no architectural merit" We would not be happy to just replace it

We did contact the planners but they would not commit to anything constructive - unless pre-application in writing with fee, but not time for that.

If the house had not had a house on it, it would have been a possible candidate for infill,. Village quite small, i know of 1 other plot 500m away that was an infill application 5 years ago, turned down, but overturned and successful on appeal

thanks for advice

Andrew

Don't get me started on planners !!!!!!!. I think we were lucky because we applied for planning, to demolish ( well push it over) and replace it before we lost it to fire and despite rumours locally that we did it on purpose it was not insured and it cost me lots of money to get the burnt asbestos cleaned from the site. Over the phone the LPA said replace on the same footprint and go up a floor or stay single story and extend. When we actually applied they wanted a bungalow only but would allow room in roof. Call me stubborn if you want but we wanted a typical Devon cottage ( we are building in Devon) built of local materials. We are two and a half years down the road, four planning applications and now waiting for my appeal to the Secretary of State. We own over an acre of ground, I have proved the LPA has been wrong on so many details and we are not over looked by anyone.

rant over ?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 21:15, Grendel said:

House before it burnt down was not in keeping with village and was a 60's brick house with upvc windows of "no architectural merit" We would not be happy to just replace it

Can you live with a house that's similar to the surrounding houses in size and style? Would you want bigger?

other houses in village are largely red brick and slate which would be ok. 

surrounding old houses are larger than 60's burnt house which is only 6m x 7m on 2 floors

we would want a new house to be a fair bit bigger! possibly 200msq

the plot is 0.6 acres so would take a larger house than 80msq

47 minutes ago, Grendel said:

other houses in village are largely red brick and slate which would be ok. 

surrounding old houses are larger than 60's burnt house which is only 6m x 7m on 2 floors

we would want a new house to be a fair bit bigger! possibly 200msq

the plot is 0.6 acres so would take a larger house than 80msq

So ideally you would want the replacement house to be more than twice the size of the burnt house (footprint of 100sqm vs 42sqm).  Hard to know if the planners will be happy with that. It might be worth the risk but make sure the numbers make sense if they only allow a modest increase in size.

If the burnt house hadn't been extended they might allow you to replace it with something equivalent to what the existing owner could have added using permitted development. That might be a side extension equal to half the width of the original house. That might get you to another 3*7 or 6*3.5m ... call it another 22sqm on the footprint for a total of 42+22=62sqm footprint or 124sqm floor area (assuming a two storey house).

On 4 September 2016 at 00:10, TerryE said:

@joe90Sorry I didn't mean to expose raw nerves, just underline to Grendel that when it comes to LPAs the rational thought processes that one might think apply sometimes does, but definitely not always.:|

Terry, no probs,  just want to make others aware of planning pitfalls.