Glazing costs .... OUCH!

Pocster

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Keep at it!. Victory always arrives to those that fight the longest!

well i,m chasing  much better one now at same time 

i should say a small estate  is a better description .

would  love to talk about it ,but cannot 

I told you wrong the showroom monster size windows are bronze anodised i think  --not powder coated

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

just asked my better half, who has run a powder coating coy for 30 years.  It used to be the case that they used marine grade paint for stuff going near the sea.  More recently paint has got better and they tend to use architectural grade for everything (industrial grade is cheap and rubbish).  They supply to mcdonalds, airports, glazing for boats, etc. Apparantly it all comes down to the pre-treatment; they use a chemical wash while some only use a water wash which produces a much less robust finish.

All that probably doesnt help one bit ?

• Haha 1

On 30/04/2019 at 15:42, pocster said:

Triple glazed u value from same supplier

Sieger XL Sliding Doors - 1.2
Schuco Casement Door - 1.4
Sieger Casement Windows - 1.3-1.5depending on size

That can’t be right ..!!

I’ve got 28mm 3G at lower than that. 

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That can’t be right ..!!

+1 and the larger the window/door the better the u-value should be as the bigger area of glazing lowers the value of the poorer u-value frame

On 30/04/2019 at 15:42, pocster said:

Triple glazed u value from same supplier

Sieger XL Sliding Doors - 1.2
Schuco Casement Door - 1.4
Sieger Casement Windows - 1.3-1.5depending on size

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That can’t be right ..!!

4 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

+1 and the larger the window/door the better the u-value should be as the bigger area of glazing lowers the value of the poorer u-value frame

If you want the truth, find out from the company the actual brand / system the windows are. Never heard of "Seiger" before. Sounds like a classic marketing BS name to make a standard product appear German/Scandinavian.

Google Sieger XL doors and you get plenty of info.

Like above - 3G at that U level must be perforated ? Clearly not so something is wrong . I'm getting closer to a big order also 3 lots if 6m x 2.5m 3 pane sliders + about 60m2 of windows so very interested in your pricing/suppliers. I was quite excited by prices from some until I used their sliding doors (hated the system). also need really good strength due to wind driven deflection so not so concerned about minimal sight lines - which, when you are over a certain size I don't think really matter too much.

Bets of luck + thanks for sharing the details

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Google Sieger XL doors and you get plenty of info.

Like above - 3G at that U level must be perforated ? Clearly not so something is wrong . I'm getting closer to a big order also 3 lots if 6m x 2.5m 3 pane sliders + about 60m2 of windows so very interested in your pricing/suppliers. I was quite excited by prices from some until I used their sliding doors (hated the system). also need really good strength due to wind driven deflection so not so concerned about minimal sight lines - which, when you are over a certain size I don't think really matter too much.

Bets of luck + thanks for sharing the details

OK so googled it..

As suspected, "Sieger" is just a made-up / marketing brand comprised of a lot of cheaper products in the market from various companies, rebadged to make them look premium.

The "Sieger Slim Casement" is a Cortizo Casement Window.

The "Sieger HD Casement" is an Aluk 58BW Casement Window

Both are basically low-cost replacement windows so yes, those u-values are probably accurate. Not saying there's anything wrong with either product, but you won't get eco new-build u-values out of either of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 17/04/2019 at 18:32, Tony C said:

If you are after the slimline sliding door, try the Spanish company Cortizo.

The sliding door system called Cortizo cor vision looked good on architect's house I visited.

https://www.cortizo.com/en/sistemas/ver/55/cor-vision-sliding.html

I have been quoted recently £450 per sq m (+VAT) from https://doors-direct.co.uk/

Hi Tony.

Did you take the Cortizo solution and are you happy with them?

On 17/04/2019 at 17:18, Mr Punter said:

I think you could get it for £22.5k but you may have to mess about with just using their approved installer. Yours are coming out at about £1,000 per m2 and you should be able to get similar for £700. You u values look a bit crap too.

Get a proper window schedule done and use this to shop around. You don't need to get all from one supplier, so you could have doors from one and windows from another. Have you tried IdealCombi?

this.

low end sliders came out 750/m2 when i got quotes.

19 hours ago, Bjarni said:

Hi Tony.

Did you take the Cortizo solution and are you happy with them?

I have not ordered it yet... but I looked the system in the showroom, the design is really great with minimalist look.

It could be either painted or anodized aluminum. I am going for plain aluminum anodized finish which looks like raw aluminum. Cortizo also provides the invisible ventilation slot.

I will be commissioning the glazing company who can deliver both cortizo and rooflights. Cortizo sliding doors are coming around £640/m2.