Glazing costs .... OUCH!

Pocster

First 'approx quote ' in ( by approx I mean rough sizes and me not specifying anything yet )

The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x 3 section SL20 Classic Minimal framed sliding door system with all panels sliding with multi point locking and all frames in a standard RAL colour all glazed units will be energy efficient glazing and a U-value of 1.3. The approximate size of the doors would be 5700 x 2450 the cost of this would be £16,261.00 plus vat supplied and fitted.

The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x Eco 50 aluminium French door system in a powder coated RAL finish, with multipoint locking and energy efficient glazing. 1730 x 2030 would be £3,600.00 plus vat supplied and fitted.

The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x Eco 50 aluminium window system in a powder coated RAL finish, with multipoint locking and energy efficient glazing. 1550 x 1400 would be £1,500.00 plus vat supplied and fitted.

The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x Eco 50 aluminium window system in a powder coated RAL finish, with multipoint locking and energy efficient glazing. 420 x 950 would be £850.00 plus vat supplied and fitted.

The Supplied and fitted cost for 2 x Eco 50 aluminium French door systems in a powder coated RAL finish, with multipoint locking and energy efficient glazing. 1540 x 2050 would be £3,500.00 each plus vat supplied and fitted.

The Supplied and fitted cost for 2 x Eco 50 aluminium window systems in a powder coated RAL finish, with multipoint locking and energy efficient glazing. 1060 x 1140 would be £1,200.00 each plus vat supplied and fitted.

Drawing Packs will be charged at £350.00 plus vat.

Total Project Cost: £31,961.00 supplied and fitted. (vat exemption - new build)

?

I think you could get it for £22.5k but you may have to mess about with just using their approved installer. Yours are coming out at about £1,000 per m2 and you should be able to get similar for £700. You u values look a bit crap too.

Get a proper window schedule done and use this to shop around. You don't need to get all from one supplier, so you could have doors from one and windows from another. Have you tried IdealCombi?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Danny68 said:

I'd want it in gold leaf for that price. 

Me too. 

I found that glazing prices varied massively, even for systems with pretty much the same spec and performance.  I had quotes ranging from £8.5k to over £24k for virtually the same spec (aluminium clad timber, triple glazed, guaranteed airtightness).  Our total door and window area is 25.33m² and the average Uw value for the glazing we ended up fitting is 0.7 W/m².K for the windows and 1.2 W/m².K for the doors.  6.63m² of the glazing is in our front gable, which is around 5m high.

In total, our doors and windows came in at about £335/m²

• Thanks 1

Looking through our invoice, we have a 5300 x 2100mm sliding door - 1 element fixed, 1 sliding. It is an Internorm timber aluminium HS330, triple glazed in a bespoke textured finish (not standard RAL). The cost was £9850+vat including fitting, before discount I think (which we did ok on, but the order was about £75k).

This was through Spectrum Architectural, whom I would 100% recommend. I have no connection with them other than being a happy customer and I can say their before and after sales service is top notch. They also only take 50% on order, with 45% on delivery to the UK and the remaining 5% on completion of the job. If you do call them, ask to speak with Nick and say Andrew Webster sent you :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That is a very good price. What was and was not included?

The price was supply and fit, but with no sealing (I opted to do that, only because I felt I'd spend more time getting it right).  All the windows were standard 3G casements (8 off)), except for the front glazed gable, with angled fixed upper sections, fitted on a stacking cill over the fully glazed front door and lower side glazed panels.  The back door is a standard half glazed unit, plus we have a pair of fairly standard 3G French windows leading to the garden.  All the windows and doors came with fitted aluminium cills (deep ones, so the windows could be set back within the insulation layer).

I'd have to say that the initial service from the supplier wasn't great; they were a PITA when I was trying to place the order, but the fitters were pretty good, and after sales service has been good.  We had a 3G unit crack after about a year, from a fault within the St Gobain sealed unit, and it was replaced inside a week.  The big snag is that the company aren't set up to deal with self-builders at all, and do 99% of their business with developers.  They've supplied glazing to several of the large developments around Salisbury over the past two or three years, so presumably they are offering keen prices (probably better than the price I got!).

Another day; another quote.

Overall almost the same total cost but it is interesting that previously

"The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x 3 section SL20 Classic Minimal framed sliding door system with all panels sliding with multi point locking and all frames in a standard RAL colour all glazed units will be energy efficient glazing and a U-value of 1.3. The approximate size of the doors would be 5700 x 2450 the cost of this would be £16,261.00 plus vat supplied and fitted."

16K!!!

From other company

"

5700mm wide x 2450mm high -Three track Sieger Slim® sliding door system comprising of 2nr sliding and 1nr fixed panes (→,→,Fixed)

item

7,617.28£

7,617.28£

Alternative Option - 5700mm wide x 2450mm high -Three track Sieger Slim® sliding door system comprising of 3nr sliding panes (→,↔,←)

item

8,119.93£

Alternative Option

"

8K!!!

Original company (with double glazed units) have now said for the same cost they will do triple.

Anyway I've halved the price of 1 expensive unit already ?

Edited by pocster
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pocster said:

Another day; another quote.

Overall almost the same total cost but it is interesting that previously

"The Supplied and fitted cost for a 1 x 3 section SL20 Classic Minimal framed sliding door system with all panels sliding with multi point locking and all frames in a standard RAL colour all glazed units will be energy efficient glazing and a U-value of 1.3. The approximate size of the doors would be 5700 x 2450 the cost of this would be £16,261.00 plus vat supplied and fitted."

16K!!!

From other company

"

5700mm wide x 2450mm high -Three track Sieger Slim® sliding door system comprising of 2nr sliding and 1nr fixed panes (→,→,Fixed)

item

7,617.28£

7,617.28£

Alternative Option - 5700mm wide x 2450mm high -Three track Sieger Slim® sliding door system comprising of 3nr sliding panes (→,↔,←)

item

8,119.93£

Alternative Option

"

8K!!!

Original company (with double glazed units) have now said for the same cost they will do triple.

Anyway I've halved the price of 1 expensive unit already ?

The second quote you got is about right. First one is just typical retail tactics - Double the price and then keep offering discounts until you get a bite.

That door system also can't take triple glazing so it's a pretty bold offer.

Can I ask if this is for a new build?

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

The second quote you got is about right. First one is just typical retail tactics - Double the price and then keep offering discounts until you get a bite.

That door system also can't take triple glazing so it's a pretty bold offer.

Can I ask if this is for a new build?

Yes new build 

Are you saying any sliding doors can’t be triple glazed ???

Just now, pocster said:

Yes new build 

Are you saying any sliding doors can’t be triple glazed ???

No, just that particular system (the same one the first company quoted you for). It has max 30mm Cavity - 30mm is just about enough to make a double glazed unit in those thicknesses let alone triple.

I asked about new build as there is a requirement for Security in Part Q of the building regs which those doors won't meet. Building inspectors don't tend to enforce this in my experience and I've only rarely seen people get into trouble, but there is a danger they'll just not accept the doors and make you replace them.

Just now, Nick said:

No, just that particular system (the same one the first company quoted you for). It has max 30mm Cavity - 30mm is just about enough to make a double glazed unit in those thicknesses let alone triple.

I asked about new build as there is a requirement for Security in Part Q of the building regs which those doors won't meet. Building inspectors don't tend to enforce this in my experience and I've only rarely seen people get into trouble, but there is a danger they'll just not accept the doors and make you replace them.

I suspect . They will then say “triple glazed units for all bar the sliding doors “ . When the price is crap and “discounts” are offered I go looking elsewhere....

Latest company state (my favourite as their products look stunning):

The Uw values vary across our range so please see typical values below:
Sieger Slim Sliding Door 1.4
Schuco Casement Door 1.8
Sieger Casement Windows 1.1
Sieger Entrance Door 1.3

These are double glazed. Not sure the extra cost for triple glazed will justify the U value improvement.

Down to 24k now - but will have to drop their front door suggestion as way to expensive....

Right!

I'm trying to get the price down but running out of room!

I queried

"For marine grade finish to items 1.00, 2.00, 3.00, 4.00 and 5.00 above due to coastal environment

item

1,312.20£

1,312.20"

Just seems a lot when we are no where near the cost. The response I got was....

"Our systems are aluminium framed. Item 7.00 reflects the cost involved with the aluminium frames being powder coated to a higher micron .i.e. marine grade, to withstand the harsher environment. We generally work to providing these options when a project is 5km from the sea, but from what I can see your property is nearer to 8km from the coast. I would still advise that you opt for marine grade finishes, and would advise that if you do not, you are aware of the potential implications of wear over time. "

Is this REALLY an issue for me? Will the frames visibly degrade overtime?

pocster  Is this REALLY an issue for me? Will the frames visibly degrade overtime?

yes it could be 

Is was told the same when specing  an air con system for my petrola station 

the outside cooler?fan box 

there were 2 specs of radiator one for coastal and one in land 

,as i was under 7km from sea then warranty was halfed with inland type unit.

its do with the salt content of the air in very stormy conditions 

12 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

pocster  Is this REALLY an issue for me? Will the frames visibly degrade overtime?

yes it could be 

Is was told the same when specing  an air con system for my petrola station 

the outside cooler?fan box 

there were 2 specs of radiator one for coastal and one in land 

,as i was under 7km from sea then warranty was halfed with inland type unit.

its do with the salt content of the air in very stormy conditions 

Fair enough. I won't risk it for 1.3k saving. Appreciated!

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Fair enough. I won't risk it for 1.3k saving. Appreciated!

@pocster

what i will say is that 15 years on its still ok -even though idid not go for the more expensive option -

so  its a "clint eastwood"  job

"do you feel lucky "

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Haha 1

Just now, scottishjohn said:

@pocster

what i will say is that 15 years on its still ok -even though idid not go for the more expensive option -

so  its a "clint eastwood"  job

"do you feel lucky "

(expletive deleted) me - I'm the unluckiest guy I know. When you buying my walk on glass?

50 minutes ago, pocster said:

Right!

I'm trying to get the price down but running out of room!

I queried

"For marine grade finish to items 1.00, 2.00, 3.00, 4.00 and 5.00 above due to coastal environment

item

1,312.20£

1,312.20"

Just seems a lot when we are no where near the cost. The response I got was....

"Our systems are aluminium framed. Item 7.00 reflects the cost involved with the aluminium frames being powder coated to a higher micron .i.e. marine grade, to withstand the harsher environment. We generally work to providing these options when a project is 5km from the sea, but from what I can see your property is nearer to 8km from the coast. I would still advise that you opt for marine grade finishes, and would advise that if you do not, you are aware of the potential implications of wear over time. "

Is this REALLY an issue for me? Will the frames visibly degrade overtime?

In reality you are paying for insurance. The standard stuff will be painted to 60-80 microns anyway as it's very hard to control powder coating thicknesses and not worth taking the time to paint some lengths thicker, some thinner, e.t.c.

In my experience the extra money is just to cover the supplier's cost to come out and replace/repair any damaged coatings if they happen to peel over time. Also bear in mind that you will need to have cleaned the frames regularly (depending on what the maintenance guide says) to make any claim under warranty.

Which Items are 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5?

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

(expletive deleted) me - I'm the unluckiest guy I know. When you buying my walk on glass?

when i get these dam plots sorted out 

trying to sell me plots with a  partial ransom strip up the road side and a pp that has the entrance over that bit  .

last thing was i told them i would conclude when i got change of planning to move entrance down to the bit that I could go over ,if they would sign missives to that effect  and not have them be able  pull out and then use my new PP

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

when i get these dam plots sorted out 

trying to sell me plots with a  partial ransom strip up the road side and a pp that has the entrance over that bit  .

last thing was i told them i would conclude when i got change of planning to move entrance down to the bit that I could go over ,if they would sign missives to that effect  sand not have them pull out and then use my new PP

Keep at it!. Victory always arrives to those that fight the longest!

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

In reality you are paying for insurance. The standard stuff will be painted to 60-80 microns anyway as it's very hard to control powder coating thicknesses and not worth taking the time to paint some lengths thicker, some thinner, e.t.c.

In my experience the extra money is just to cover the supplier's cost to come out and replace/repair any damaged coatings if they happen to peel over time. Also bear in mind that you will need to have cleaned the frames regularly (depending on what the maintenance guide says) to make any claim under warranty.

Which Items are 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5?

1,2,3,4 & 5 are

Aluminum windows and sliding doors