England-Wales : Heterosexual Civil Partnerships Coming Soon

This may affect some people on the forum.

It seems that heterosexual couples can soon have a Civil Partnership as the Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc) Bill received Royal Assent on 19 March.

http://equalcivilpartnerships.org.uk/2019/03/royal-assent-received/

That could change tax liabilities, property transfers, potentially pensions and a lot of other stuff for people doing things with property.

Which is us.

Note that this is (I think) enabling legislation, which will allow the Government to change the Regulations to actually make it happen. Timescale seems to be the end of the year (ish).

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/march/royal-assent-civil-partnerships-marriages-and-deaths-registration-etc-bill-signed-into-law/

Congratulations in Advance to any Buildhubbers who are about to get 'civil partner'-ed for tax or other reasons. 

?

Ferdinand

Elopements to Berwick-upon-Tweed coming real soon now ...

Edited by Ferdinand

The implications of this are quite profound, and it will take some time to get my head around.

For example, consider the woman who walked out on her partner on the Gravenhill build on Grand Designs: The Street.

Had they Civil Partnered at the start, she would now presumably be entitled to half the plot should they subsequently 'divorce'.

Had elderly cohabiting couples done a joint self-build, the tax implications of one dying become much different in the way they can be managed.

And so on.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

The implications of this are quite profound, and it will take some time to get my head around.

For example, consider the woman who walked out on her partner on the Gravenhill build on Grand Designs: The Street.

Had they Civil Partnered at the start, she would now presumably be entitled to half the plot should they subsequently 'divorce'.

So how is it different to marriage?

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

This may affect some people on the forum.

It seems that heterosexual couples can soon have a Civil Partnership as the Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc) Bill received Royal Assent on 19 March.

http://equalcivilpartnerships.org.uk/2019/03/royal-assent-received/

That could change tax liabilities, property transfers, potentially pensions and a lot of other stuff for people doing things with property.

Which is us.

Note that this is (I think) enabling legislation, which will allow the Government to change the Regulations to actually make it happen. Timescale seems to be the end of the year (ish).

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/march/royal-assent-civil-partnerships-marriages-and-deaths-registration-etc-bill-signed-into-law/

Congratulations in Advance to any Buildhubbers who are about to get 'civil partner'-ed for tax or other reasons. 

?

Ferdinand

Elopements to Berwick-upon-Tweed coming real soon now ...

Idi. 

27 minutes ago, newhome said:

It’s not. 

I never saw the point in allowing hetrosexual civil partnerships.  It can only be from the few who think "it's not fair, they can have it why can't we" playing some spurious discrimination card.

Now same sex marriage is allowed I see no point in continuing the civil partnership at all for any gender combination.

I don't really see the point in marriage anymore other than as a tradition. It's costly to do, difficult to get out of and easy to break. And people often don't give it much respect.

I am a traditionalist though and married as a result, but i'm sure i'd be broadly as happy with the missus if she wasn't a 'Wife'!

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I never saw the point in allowing hetrosexual civil partnerships.  It can only be from the few who think "it's not fair, they can have it why can't we" playing some spurious discrimination card.

Just because you don't see the point doesn't mean there isn't one.

I'm not married, largely because my partner is firmly against the concept of marriage for socio-political reasons. Civil partnerships don't come with all that baggage.

6 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

I don't really see the point in marriage anymore other than as a tradition. It's costly to do, difficult to get out of and easy to break. And people often don't give it much respect.

As someone who isn’t religious and lived with my partner for 23 years before we married I agree with you. We were perfectly happy to not be married and no doubt would have remained so had my hubby not got ill. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer we did get married, initially because there were things that were more straightforward as a wife rather than a partner, for example being automatically treated as next of kin in hospitals rather than having to explain our relationship constantly, and the probate was easier. But somehow it just felt like the right thing to do which is something hard to explain. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

But somehow it just felt like the right thing to do which is something hard to explain. 

I think it's this comment here that neatly describes the biggest reason most people now get married. 

Obviously as you mentioned there are some logistics which simplify when you get married, but they're nothing insurmountable. 

It has always seemed odd to me when you mention having to explain ones relationships in hospitals, that it isn't enough to say ; "imagine us as being married but having just not had the wedding itself".

2 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

It has always seemed odd to me when you mention having to explain ones relationships in hospitals, that it isn't enough to say ; "imagine us as being married but having just not had the wedding itself".

Not insurmountable of course and it is possible for someone to be next of kin without being a formal relative by marriage or blood as the term has no legal standing in the UK, but when you are visiting lots of hospitals, seeing endless different teams and the person who has to agree who their next of kin is getting sicker and sicker and less able to rationalise due to the extreme amount of drugs they are taking (50 pills a day in my hubby’s case) explaining anything becomes difficult. It’s only when you are caught up in those situations that you realise that things that sound straightforward aren’t. Bit like building TBH! 

I went to a football match 

and a poor guy had decided to make a grand gesture and prepose in the centre circle in front of 33000 football fans

He said those magic words and before she could answer 

Chants of ‘You don’t know what your doing ‘ Rang round the stadium 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Now same sex marriage is allowed I see no point in continuing the civil partnership at all for any gender combination.

I think the bet way I can demonstrate the point is to point out that Same Sex Marriage is essentially the same as Same Sex Civil Partnership, yet we now have I think 15,000 same sex marriages that have taken place. Clearly a demand is there.

As a society we have taken the route of allowing both options for some of our population, therefore we should follow that route for everyone.

I would to an extent agree that starting on a different option with Civil Partnerships vs Civil Marriages for the sake of mental baggage or linguistic ideology of some people is questionable, but that is what we chose to do and we need to be consistent.

F

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

So how is it different to marriage?

There are currently lots of minor and not so minor differences for same sex partners. The government lists them here...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/comparison-of-civil-partnership-and-marriage-for-same-sex-couples

I think there could be pension differences under the new act for opposite sex couples. For example widows pension rights for those in a civil partnership only accrue from the date of the Act that allowed civil partnerships. Where as I think rights for the widow of a married couple usually take into account his or her whole service history. 

Edited by Temp