Demolition application instead of conversion

Jilly

We have full planning permission for conversion of a 1980's stable in a conservation area and a few of you (and others) have suggested that demolition and rebuild would be sensible. I went to see the planners yesterday and the duty officer told me that it was against the rural policy thingy in our area, but we could put in an application and make a case for it.

Has anyone done this or got any pearls of wisdom, please? I checked that the bat lady is happy about demolition so it seems that we could argue for better eco credentials. The building also has subsidence so that would be easier to sort out. The VAT also seems more clearcut (but I can't say that!)

Any more ideas folks?

I would guess that a similar looking scheme, or something following local cues, would be necessary.

You could argue that the existing is a horrible, disfunctional, inefficent design. 

Find out the reasons for the conservation area (document: Council website or FOI), and demonstrate that you are enhancing them. Find precedent for such a demolition in a CA. Can you include things like a street-facing clock and a weathercock, made locally?

I would also think that you need to find a justification based on technical facts established by an expert not opinion, which would be harder to question, to help get the demolition through. "Dangerous structure likely to fall down" is more persuasive than "Expensive to work with". See if a subsidence-ologist will write a supportive report.

I think that in 2019 a simplified pastiche design "classical pilasters made out of concrete but without the decoration" was a 70s approach not a 2020 approach.

Consult with the Conservation Officer first, but be a wise owl ... have your ducks in a row (though not necessarily on paper) and a sales strategy in place first. You only get one chance to make a good impression.

Check out Council Policies you can show you are furthering eg how many tons of CO2 it will save over the lifetime of your structure - compare what you will build with a Building Regs Minimum conversion in the @JSHarris spreadsheet.

Write out a brief problem statement or key question you need to answer. Put them on the wall, and repeatedly focus on them. The argument you need to win is that the development is beneficial in planning terms, and acceptable in the CA context. The former is the Planner; the latter is the Conservation Officer.

Canvas some support if you feel able; you may be surprised.

Can you get support from the local Heritage Society?

Do not mention VAT until after you have Permission?; objectors will beat you over the head with it.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

For canvasing local support, perhaps make a case that a new build can go up in a fraction of the time of a restoration project. All said and done most neighbours care far more about disruption and eyesore of the works themselves than the finished article, so I saw this convince 6 neighbours of a local application to make statements of support. "Please just grant permission so we can be rid of a permanent building site".

(this was for *retrospective* permission to demolish a locally listed £2M house in a conservation area. Ballsy approach to say the least. There core argument was the old building was poorly built/unsafe and the new would be much better standard)

Local support on its own won't sway planning/conservation officer but does wonders to negate any negative complaints against the plans. 

19 hours ago, Jilly said:

We have full planning permission for conversion of a 1980's stable in a conservation area and a few of you (and others) have suggested that demolition and rebuild would be sensible. I went to see the planners yesterday and the duty officer told me that it was against the rural policy thingy in our area, but we could put in an application and make a case for it.

I've come across this before. Its like the planners have as short memory. Once you demolish a building its as if it never existed and your plot suddenly becomes a green field site on which their policies don't allow new houses to be constructed. Heaven help anyone that has a fire and needs PP to rebuild their isolated cottage in the greenbelt.

So under no circumstances demolish or allow the shed to fall down until this is sorted.

I think I would submit an application to demolish and rebuild with the new building being _identical_ to the approved conversion in every way externally. That way they cannot argue the new proposal is too big, wrong style etc etc because those issues have effectively already been addressed and approved. If necessary take or threaten to take this to appeal including to remove any new conditions you can't live with.

Then once its established that you can replace the existing building with a new one, submit a new application to make the replacement slightly bigger, different shape, or change materials etc.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 3