Pleasant surprises!

EverHopefull

Now being the proud owner of a sad old house on a great plot I have been wrestling with the fact I have zero usage of the electrics etc. 

From Feb when it became ours the meter reading has remained static as power has been turned off. EDF have three times now assumed usage based on the previous owner and billed as such. After many frustrating phone sessions with them today I have zeroed my account balance, this has actually happened last month but this time I found out something I wasn't aware of. I was expecting to pay three months standing charge and happy to do so, BUT what I didn't know was that if your usage is nill then the standing charge is waived too! 

Who knew that? 

I feel like this is a diamond in the rough of the self build experience so far. 

Anyone else heard this fact? 

• Like 3

Ah but this is not a zero standing charge tariff that I am on. The daily standing charge is 28.4p

That's the surprise bit. 

I was expecting to pay the standing charge for having the facility available to me. When I asked this I was told quite clearly that if usage is zero the standing charge is waived. Goes against everything a standing charge should mean really.