Drainage connection

Danny68

The plot I hope to purchase #gettingcloser has a drain running through it at the back (was laid in the 70's) but the previous owner was too tight to get it connected, it transpires he was too tight to get his septic tank cleaned out also but that's another story, I digress anyway on investigating over the weekend I measured that the drain is just over 6ft down,  any ideas on the way I'm going to have to connect. 

DSC_1352.JPG

17 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

KASPLOSH. 

sorry that was no help but it made me chuckle. 

I did'nt think that you were allowed to KASPLOSH. I think your connection branch is going to have to go "Down, down, deeper and down" and join up with the existing at the bottom.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

no step irons?

Not required until early 90’s...

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

I did'nt think that you were allowed to KASPLOSH. I think your connection branch is going to have to go "Down, down, deeper and down" and join up with the existing at the bottom.

Yep... and could use a backdrop and cut into the pipe at the bottom. 

@Danny68 is it a live drain ..? Assuming it has flow from somewhere else ..? If it’s definitely a foul drain then 6ft down is an easy job to do - connect before the manhole. Technically it should have a restrictor set on it - has it got a cast lid ..?

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not required until early 90’s...

Yep... and could use a backdrop and cut into the pipe at the bottom. 

@Danny68 is it a live drain ..? Assuming it has flow from somewhere else ..? If it’s definitely a foul drain then 6ft down is an easy job to do - connect before the manhole. Technically it should have a restrictor set on it - has it got a cast lid ..?

Yes, it's a live drain and pretty sure  the previous chap didn't connect and if he did he's done it illegally and without any manholes, until I finally get my hands on the keys I won't be able to chuck some tissue down and flush the toilet to see if it is . Has got a light weight cast lid its in the back garden so only foot traffic. 

Connect before the manhole 6 inch branch reduced down n to 4  Is that correct ?

Thanks for all the replies, And great illustration of the drop shaft. I don't believe there's any other manholes on the site and I imagine that because the chap declined mains drainage the water company didn't bother putting any  capped access branch in place for future use.