Nails and Screws Wanted

Triassic

I've just about used up my stock of nails and screws accumulated over many years.

My local independent builders merchant stock a wide selection, but their prices look very high to me. The other builder's merchant in town (TP) are ridiculously expensive!  I assume most builders don't bother about price, as the customer pays!.     Can anyone suggest the best place to buy reasonably priced nails and screws?

They have just opened a Screwfix in Bude, hooray, bit late fir me tho. Because of the free delivery over £10 I usually used toolstation till now.

Edited by joe90

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Reisser from Howdens when they are on 2 for 1. Or Toolstation when they aren’t ..!

I find the Reisser cutter screws are good until you are using rawlplugs, when the cutter bit tries to rip the plug apart, rotate it or otherwise mess you up.

20 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Got some screws from Plumbfix, whilst there I notice that Spax screws are very very expensive in comparison with other screws  can’t see why?

'Cos they're brilliant. The floor board screws just work.

52 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Got some screws from Plumbfix, whilst there I notice that Spax screws are very very expensive in comparison with other screws  can’t see why?

95% of the time they is no need to spend more. Depends how much you value the 5% when it shears/rounds the head/splits the wood/doesn't countersink itself. 

Always happens when you really wish it wouldn't as well. 

We generally use reissers at work

• 4 weeks later...

I’m about to start fixing my render board and the manufacturer strongly recommends non rust fixings.

What did you use to fix your render boards?

ps. Did you drill holes in the render board before driving the fixing home?

Edited by Triassic

I used stainless steel screws to fix my battens and render boards. I did not pre-drill the render boards, just screwed them in place to the manufacturers fitting requirements regarding spacing and pattern layout

13 hours ago, Triassic said:

What did you use to fix your render boards?

Stainless steel screws.

13 hours ago, Triassic said:

Did you drill holes in the render board before driving the fixing home?

Yes