First steps

Matt10

Hi all, have been reading the forum for a few weeks and it has got me excited to start something although I’m not quite sure where to start!

A complete novice so I’ve got the Home Builders Bible book although haven’t had chance to look yet, if there are any useful threads around about getting started do let me know.

The aim is to buy a plot and build a house…no surprises there but I seem to be in a bit of a catch 22 situation as to how to get things moving. For example I might see a plot (without PP) that is coming up for auction in 4 weeks, do I put the PP through and hope it is completed in time for the auction?

Is the first step maybe to design a house because that is obviously need for the PP, but then again the design will be dependent on the plot. I understand outline planning consent might be an option but not every authority seems to do it.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome.

A plot at auction without PP is probably for auction without PP because it stands little chance of getting PP.  Be very wary of that one.  When the hammer falls, you have bought it.

I would say don't design the house until you have the plot, so much depends on the size, shape, orientation, views etc.  But do start thinking about what you want in a house, and what sort of construction method etc.

5 hours ago, Matt10 said:

For example I might see a plot (without PP) that is coming up for auction in 4 weeks, do I put the PP through and hope it is completed in time for the auction?

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. You will probably be lucky to get a PP result within the eight week requirement if your area is anything like around here. Good luck with your plans.

Welcome Matt.

Around here PP seems to take around 12 to 16 weeks minimum, and I get the feeling this sort of timescale is now pretty common, with the cutbacks in staffing that have been impacting on local authority services.

I'd definitely agree that designing the house before getting the plot would be a waste of time and money, as what's needed initially is to establish the principle that a house could be built there.  Once that's established it's just a matter of getting a design that will be accepted.

You'll need to do a fair bit of work between now and the auction date to try and remove risk, although some risk is bound to remain.  Perhaps the most important thing is to dig out all the history of the plot you can, and research why it's being sold (the real reason, rather than any stated reason).  You should be able to check the planning history, perhaps initially by searching the local authority website, and if that doesn't raise any alarm bells you could make a request to see any planning files that the LA may hold.  Often there will be detail on planning files that never gets uploaded to the LA website, so a root around in those files can tell you a fair bit (assuming there are any such files).

Likewise do all the research you can on the vendor.  A plot being sold at auction can itself ring alarm bells, simply because plots are in short supply and a plot with planning consent is worth many, many times more than one without.  However, churches sometimes sell good plots at auction, as do some other organisations, as it seems they sometimes aren't interested in increasing the value by getting PP (I've no idea why).

Round here you can approach the planning department and ask if the plot you are interested in is "likely", "possibly" or "unlikely" to be granted planning permission. Sometimes they will advise that, for instance, an eco friendly build might be favoured. 

Are you aware that lots of Local Authorities will grant planning permission to self builders? Might be worth asking that question first?