Concrete blocks to steel

Pocster

Hey all

i need to build up a concrete plinth that happens to be on an internal steel .

Whats the best way to attach concrete blocks to structural steel ?

I could cement them but i’m Guessing that’s not the preferred way .... ?

Sand & cement mortar is the only way I know of laying concrete blocks, Tell is more about this plinth and if the steel was designed to carry this load as well as the function it already performs? 

Ps my fave tv show ‘Brexit’ has been commissioned for another series :))

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Sand & cement mortar is the only way I know of laying concrete blocks, Tell is more about this plinth and if the steel was designed to carry this load as well as the function it already performs? 

Ps my fave tv show ‘Brexit’ has been commissioned for another series :))

It’s an internal steel whose function is just to provide support for the stairwell .

I need to shutter the edge for ufh screed . But also need a good edge for fixing of balustrade and the actual staircase .

You will need a L shaped bracket that will act as a tie. We would have used a hilti gun and shot a nail in. You will have to use a drill with a self tapping screw.

Is it only the bottom or is it at the sides as well???

• Like 1

I think our builder shot nailed timber to the web of the I beam to make it square then used straps to tie the wall down to the beam. Straps were J shape (strips bent on site) so they were fixed both sides.

Edited by Temp

Here’s the steel to make it clear .

i just need a nice concrete base along its length ( and probably as wide )

I could just cement concrete blocks to it but i’m worried when they are drilled for fixings the vibrations will cause concrete block to disconnect from steel beam 

FAA464A3-6AF7-4D60-B4C2-EC02A6F0CAE4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

You only build the first course and put maybe 2 of them fixings in. Let the motar go of and then build away the next day.

What is the purpose of the concrete base???

So bed the fixing in the 1st base mortar and then drill/screw 2nd course to fixings ?

That edge will have balustrade and also self supporting stair case will fix to it 

Edited by pocster

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

So bed the fixing in the 1st base mortar and then drill/screw 2nd course to fixings ?

That edge will have balustrade and also self supporting stair case will fix to it 

What form will the balustrade take / look like? I'm thinking along the lines of drill and tap (if you don't want to weld) some base fixings into the top flange of that steel then cast concrete in-situ up level with them. Couple of stiff timbers as shuttering tied together with some studs. Doddle.

Just now, Onoff said:

What form will the balustrade take / look like? I'm thinking along the lines of drill and tap (if you don't want to weld) some base fixings into the top flange of that steel then cast concrete in-situ up level with them. Couple of stiff timbers as shuttering tied together with some studs. Doddle.

Lol like I know what the balustrade will be like ! Making it up as I go along 

Of more concern is a helical self supporting staircase . ?

So essentially a steel spine that’s only fixed at the top ( to that beam ) and at the base into the floor . This I can envisage in my minds eye 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Bed first block, put tie in , bed next block and continue. A tie every 3 block. Then plumb and leave it till the next day.  

Still not sure the purpose of the concrete base. Your going to cast concrete then build on top of it, why not just build on top with the blocks. You will be able to attach the balustrade to the blocks.

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is this balustrade a show thing? External or internal?

Seems mad not to fix direct to that lovely big bit of steel.....something like this I was thinking.

1555326143134_1555326128351_0_20190415_115938.thumb.jpg.7c43f6c8f9410a981bc1574c43715633.jpg

All internal .

Problem is I need to ‘shutter’ this bit for ufh and screed . Balustrade some way off ? , but yes they could drill through the lot to bolt off the steel 

Edited by pocster

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

All internal .

Problem is I need to ‘shutter’ this bit for ufh and screed . Balustrade some way off ? , but yes they could drill through the lot to bolt off the steel 

The block wall will give you something to act as a shutter. 

• Like 1