Roof Windows - Will they drive me mad?

Hi

My house design has 2 large roof windows in a 38 degree pitched roof in each bedroom. Bedrooms are 4m x 3.6m.

The room are facing south south east.

Prevailing weather is from the South South West.

I have never or any of my family for that matter slept for any length of time in a room with with roof windows. We get quite an amount of rain where I live.

My fear is that the noise will be more than we can bear.

Rather than change my design to dormers.. what are my options to reduce the potential noise.. i have read about 1. triple glazing .... is that really effective..anyone got experience of this working   2. external electric shutter on the roof windows.. again has anyone experience of this and is it the obvious suppliers I should look at.

Thanks

M

RearElev.JPG

House I rented in Tongue had a Velux roof window in the bedroom. No problem with noise at all; you can hear rain on it but it's quite a nice sound, really. I did get a bit nervous with my head under it in a hail storm - visions of waking up slashed to bits by broken glass - but of course not a problem in reality. House under construction will have Veluxes in both the bedrooms but with the room arranged so the bed heads aren't under them.

Something which isn't so obvious: in winter when the Sun is low so the Moon is high in the sky. With a full moon the light shines in through a roof window more than you might expect so you really need some sort of black-out blind in mid winter as well as in summer.

We have very large Velux (SK10 1140mmx1600mm) in our rooms in roof and I've never noticed any noise.

However we have a 2m horizontal slot style window high up in our master bedroom and the rain does make noise as it pings off the aluminium cill.

4 hours ago, Moggaman said:

[...]

My fear is that the noise will be more than we can bear.

[...]

How much can you tolerate - of which type and what volume for how  long?

I suffer from Tinnitus, and have had to learn to tune that noise out - works mostly. But I love the sound of rain and hail on glass, but can't stand the noise of turbulent easterly winds (caused our wall to collapse in mid July a couple of years ago). I lived in Berlin, right next to a main road - couldn't sleep properly for the first week - by the end of the next I'd learned to ignore it.

Noise tolerance is an each-to-their-own thing. 

We have a few velux windows where we currently are and have lots in our self build.

It's really just heavy hail you hear.

Usually we hear the heavy hail, and then I would say some think along the lines of:

Looks like it's hailing, then it stops after thirty seconds or so and we carry on as normal.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. Happy Xmas... further to above, what is the best type of insulation to put in a vaulted ceiling, (roof in room) to prevent any noise transfer across the roof into the room in heavy rain... spray foam is ruled out by wife...

In cutting the roof i was going to use larger  rafters 225mm to allow for deeper insulation and insulated plasterboard connected to that. I will be pumping the walls with beads so it needs to connect well to that. Not using PIR, too hard to get right.. would appreciate comments . Thanks 

Our vaulted warm roof has 200mm of Frametherm 35 between the rafters and 100mm wood fibre board over the rafters (as the sarking board)  you don't hear the rain on the tiles, but you DO hear the rain on the velux in the en-suite.

My bedroom window is SW facing, and 100 MPH winds are not uncommon here.  Short of forgetting to latch the window when a storm hits (caused an interesting dream a few months back, it involved a dungeon, chains and the dead awakening), I do not find it a problem.