For older people: Showers, Grab Rails etc

I have been talking about refurbishing my upstairs bathroom. I also need to do the downstairs for when my elderly mum needs it.

I have a couple of some specific questions, and I do not think we have a thread. She also likes sitting in the shower for a rest or a sit-down shower. Currently we have a plastic garden chair for that in a wetroom alcove upstairs.

The biggest shower tray I can get in will be 1400 x 800mm (the 800mm is a bit tight, but more would be a pain), as it is under the stairs where there is currently a bath. There will be a fixed screen as many others do , plus a hinged end panel. I'll post a design etc on a blog-post.

I need a walk-in shower which is as-good-as-possible rather than "acceptable", without sinking the bank.

Questions:

1 - Does a non-slip shower tray offer major benefits? Is there a downside in attraction of muck or cleaning etc?

2 - In looking for a shower screen, are they available with pre-attached grab rails? In practice a pre-attached towel rail may do it, which is what we currently have. But does gonig for one with a rail on make it niche and pricey? How pricey?

3 - Are there glue-on varieties of grab rail, and other help-equipment? Are there versions available which do not look like a clinic? (Shower screens are inexpensive, so it may be the best option to replace the whole thing when the grab rail is no longer needed).

4 - Can anyone point me to a type of fold down shower chair which is more comfortable that the normal institutional-looking ones?

5 - Potentially I *may* be able to fit in a 900mm shower tray, though it would involve moving a towel rad by about 80mm. Since we are now retiling the whole thing, that be worth it. Question for any wise-owl members: is there a major benefit for less mobile people in a 900mm wide shower over an 800mm wide? I have a gut feel it could give a lot more benefit that the small change implies.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

When we did fil bathroom into a wetroom we went for a flat floor no tray (no step to trip over) and we had a curtain not a screen. That was on the advice of his carers as it is more flexlible and gives more room for carers when assisting showering. We also kept to a purpose made moveable chair ....got it from mobility dept.... again on advice of carers they said fold down too restrictive and not as safe. He was over 90 and needed help......Occ health assisted with positioning of handrails...we had a few!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lizzie said:

When we did fil bathroom into a wetroom we went for a flat floor no tray (no step to trip over) and we had a curtain not a screen. That was on the advice of his carers as it is more flexlible and gives more room for carers when assisting showering. We also kept to a purpose made moveable chair ....got it from mobility dept.... again on advice of carers they said fold down too restrictive and not as safe. He was over 90 and needed help......Occ health assisted with positioning of handrails...we had a few!

Cheers - do you happen to have a piccie and size, and a link for the chair.

MIL is just waiting for her shower chair from OH following her assessment.  We are going for a wetroom rather that low profile shower tray in our downstairs cloakroom.  We can use the heavy duty vinyl stuff on the floor which is very grippy and removes the trip hazard completely. Retro fitting may of course be more difficult.

I have always wondered why nobody seems to market a nice looking set of hand rails / grab rails etc for a disabled bathroom.  They all look so cheap and nasty, buts of bent tube with the ends just flattened for fixing screws etc.  Surely someone must make some that actually look like they have been designed?

If this is for a disabled person then check that you don't need to pay vat. May make a big difference on whether you go for a whole new wetroom or just individual items.

You can get waste water pumps that make non step wetrooms easy. A community occupational therapist would be able to advise on your mother's bathing needs. It is always good to preempt.

4 minutes ago, Muddy said:

If this is for a disabled person then check that you don't need to pay vat. May make a big difference on whether you go for a whole new wetroom or just individual items.

You can get waste water pumps that make non step wetrooms easy. A community occupational therapist would be able to advise on your mother's bathing needs. It is always good to preempt.

Fairly immobile elderly, who is entitled eg to a Blue Badge.

Currently able to get upstairs slowly, but that may only last a couple of years.

Career as special school Physio.

80+.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Don’t know if this will help in your situation but when I helped out a mate who had become disabled I fitted a vertical handrail at the end of the shower screen. I left plenty of room between them both to avoid his hand being jammed. I used a wooden pole (beach if memory serves) and fixed it floor and ceiling with a couple of bolsters fitted about a third from the floor and ceiling between the pole and the screen. I also fitted matching horizontal handrails on the shower wall. This worked really well for him.