'Zoot’s Driveway Gate Project'

zoothorn

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

As you’re a woodworker @zoothorn then another option on the stump is to use an auger bit. Slightly slower than the chainsaw method but much safer and easier. Just get a 25mm spade or auger bit and drill 20-30 holes in the top about 4” deep. Then the process is the same - bucket of hot embers, or a pile of kindling and a blow torch and let it  burn. If you drill to within a couple of inches of the edge you can knock the rest off with a sledgehammer when it’s burnt up. 

Auger bit.. erm.. I have  flat bits I could drill into it like Marsh Rat's eg (is that an auger bit?). stumps only 2" high thankfully, & ~14" diameter: it was cut seriously low with a chainsaw so much its blade fkd up.. a mate did it/ I had to buy him a new chain.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:21, zoothorn said:

So maybe I can creosote the low 1/3rd of my posts as a cheaper option instead?

I'd do all the post TBH.  You can still get the proper creosote treated posts - check out the more traditional timber yards.

On 20/04/2019 at 08:48, Onoff said:

Marsh Rat is using a flat wood bit. I note you can get a foot long 32mm bit in Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=Flat+wood+32mm

Thanks for link Onoff.. I think I'm ok with my 6" long jobs.. my stump's only 2" high off ground, tho do need to get down further. It'll have to do.

Anyway this job's minor & down the list at the moment- could be done later once gates on.

If I don't get a quote from jacksons tmrw I'm going elsewhere, if they delay just giving me a simple quote for 2x gates, they could do in 10mins, to me for most of a week.. I'm not impressed.

On 22/04/2019 at 16:40, PeterStarck said:

Can't you get the prices off their website?

No, for some reason Peter. anyway quoted today on phone (they forgot to send it).. waaay too much. Two 6' gates, posts, hardware = £650. Very much cream of crop gates then.. a bit overkill for my humble cottage maybe/ a bit 'posh' praps (tho Id love to av'em if £350 as Id hoped).

So off to the bargainy-farmers place (a 'very welsh' feel..) & bingo I spotted 6' gates in 2mins flat, decent quality.. £75 +vat each. result! So a pair with two 8', 8x8" posts (nice pointy tops), & all hardware, decent too.. ~£240 inc vat. Excellent. Will buy next week then prep & post jobs (Q's!).

cheers all ..zoot

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zoothorn said:

No, for some reason Peter. anyway quoted today on phone (they forgot to send it).. waaay too much. Two 6' gates, posts, hardware = £650. Very much cream of crop gates then.. a bit overkill for my humble cottage maybe/ a bit 'posh' praps (tho Id love to av'em if £350 as Id hoped).

So off to the bargainy-farmers place (a 'very welsh' feel..) & bingo I spotted 6' gates in 2mins flat, decent quality.. £75 +vat each. result! So a pair with two 8', 8x8" posts (nice pointy tops), & all hardware, decent too.. ~£240 inc vat. Excellent. Will buy next week then prep & post jobs (Q's!).

cheers all ..zoot

Well, that was quite some perambulation around the possibilities, before coming back to what someone said in post three. ?:ph34r:

However, that is the very best way to learn of all, so great stuff for exploring all the options until you were satisfied you had the best answer.

Edited by Ferdinand

Haha! well I thought I did pretty well for me. tried place 1.. wait a week+ for quote.. too much > into place 2, in minutes find my gates!

Been looking at your diary clips Ferdinand.. great work & v. useful info.. will go over again this wknd. Now I can go for the post savers I think.

cheers all.