'Zoot’s Driveway Gate Project'

zoothorn

Hi chaps- be great to get help on a "typical" wood driveway gates job (maybe oak if I can stretch). Doubles, with bracket looping over to join & a pole into a ground hole to fix @ the join..? And 60 / 40 bc my car can't go back far (ie the 40 on the RHS so I can just get my car in the spot below).

This sort of basic thing at a quick glance..

https://www.huwsgray.co.uk/shop/sawn-tanalised-5-bar-field-gate.html

Here's the vacancy. I'm not looking for 'the best type' neccessarily, more affordable.. but still need to be of decent quality. Thanks, zoot schmootser

004.JPG

What are your constraints and budget?

Looking at your setting, I would probably suggest a pair of farm pedestrian gates from an agricultural stockist would fit in well.

Just been looking into it for a neighbour who is on a budget, and a pair of hunky-chunky (ie the bloke reversing into it will lose the damage war) metal hanging posts, plus a pair of 5ft metal farm gates, comes in at under £200 including VAT for 5 bar gates, or about £250 including VAT for wooden ones from my usual stockist.

Because they are likely to have a range of sizes you can probably do your 60:40.

20 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Easily get his 60/40 split with a pair of differrent size ones and "instant gates". Zoot has the skills we know and could clad after at his leisure.

I have a pair of ugly galvanised gates at the back of my plot that the railway put in (and own). I had them clad in timber and they look a whole lot nicer now. Blend in with the wooden fence. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

My 1st Q. if ideally I want to span bit less than 14' .. am I into a made-for-me gate, rather than anything likely to be 'off-shelf'?

You probably want a 5ft and a 9ft, so you can take the car in without opening both.

F

Just remember that wide gates need big posts and deep ones too..

I would use a pair of 6ft gates and a 2ft 6” pedestrian gate and use metal posts - you’ll still need 7ft galvanized posts but they would be fine. 

(From the other thread, with a bonus bit.)

What are your constraints and budget?

Looking at your setting, I would probably suggest a pair of farm pedestrian gates from an agricultural stockist would fit in well.

Just been looking into it for a neighbour who is on a budget, and a pair of hunky-chunky (ie the bloke reversing into it will lose the damage war) metal hanging posts, plus a pair of 5ft metal farm gates, comes in at under £200 including VAT for 5 bar gates, or about £250 including VAT for wooden ones from my usual stockist. Agree with Peter on posts - my supplier does metal or wooden, and the metal ones come in 3.5" or 4", and are about 8-9ft when they arrive, and I normally set them 24-28" into the ground. They survive anything smaller than a hit from a 4 or 6-wheeler.

Your link has a good range of sizes so you can probably do your 60:40, or whatever you want.

The thing that would need to be sorted here is mountings for wooden gates on the posts, and some form of fastening in the middle. In my experience, metal ones come with mounting kits. For wooden they tend to be extra as you need a thing like a hairpin which attaches to the horizontals in the gate and to the posts.

I have used normal galvanised farm gates, sometimes Hammerite-d for years, and they work perfectly for appearance even within a mixed residential street. In a village setting with those informal hedge you can do whatever you want. They should last 25-30 years without a tremor.

Two things to watch are that agricultural places are unlikely to deliver (bung somebody £20 if you need), and you need to make sure they cannot swing out into the road.

My best choice would be go galvanised, and possibly paint them. I tend to avoid painting them for the same reason I avoid painting walls ... the one thing you can guarantee is that they will need painting again at some future time; Ockham says no.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Morning chaps- many thanks for the replies & information. Onoff those dragon gates!! (I'm getting a bigger picture of you now- & you get a smaller picture of me in rtn <). they look distinctly california US ott, so not thinking your back door gates!

One other thing crops up, due to another invasion of privacy here y'day/ 2 n'bors waltzing thru entry area ^.. suddenly appearing whilst Im in garden & Im fed up with it.. so want a bit more 'barrier' now to my gates, but, not full Onoff look. Just maybe an extra bar like a 6-bar gate, & make to posts a bit bigger to hold.

I'm going into all places tmrw (prolly only 2 most) to see what's available.

Budget? let say £350 maybe? I'm not quite getting the 'clad-the-galvanised-gate' idea, Ive never seen or heard of this. Any eg's?

thanks zoot schmoot.

When they're finished:

g_001

You just knock up some shuttering:

SAM_8131

Drop in a trench and level up:

SAM_8280

Some "conduit":

SAM_8277

Cover it all up with concrete:

SAM_8292

Add some 20mm rail:

SAM_8379

A bit of 20mm conduit and some wheelbarrow wheels to move the galvanised frame around 'cos it's bloody heavy!

SAM_8325

Erect, red special metals primer then Hammerite. Flag brand paint I think I used. 

SAM_8365

SAM_8371

Some reject scaffold boards turned into T&G with 6mm ply strips for the tongues:

SAM_8409

SAM_8412

Slave labour:

SAM_8432

Lay the boards out on the lawn and cut the curve. More slave labour to transport the off cuts:

SAM_8456

Lots of drilling, stainless bolts:

SAM_8503

Simples!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Budget? let say £350 maybe? 

You will do well to get a wooden type gate on that budget unless of course you intend to fit them yourself, I would suggest. As mentioned above, try and source a local supplier. I paid £710 for both these gates to be supplied and fitted. [Jan 2019]. He supplies all the local farms in the area.

DSC01393.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

When they're finished:

g_001

You just knock up some shuttering:

SAM_8131

A bit of 20mm conduit and some wheelbarrow wheels to move the galvanised frame around 'cos it's bloody heavy!

SAM_8325

Lots of drilling, stainless bolts:

SAM_8503

Simples!

Overkill?

This is Zootville 2019.

Zoot and the postman.

Not Edward I and Owen Glyndwr!

The Men of Harlech would have some trouble getting though that little lot. (**)

:ph34r:

Ferdinand

(* I admit that my analogy does a certain amount of violence to history)

(** Admittedly in Kent you need it for the Men of Essex)

Edited by Ferdinand

@Redoctober those look splendid as does your fine abode- lovely! And a great reference point cheers. Yes the idea is me to fit them.. saving ~approx £350 on your fine job there (as a guess let's say/ my '60' section not as looong).

And I do like your bendy edge verticals: is the idea here the RHS one needed for structure/ extra bracing.. & the LHS one on the small side there solely to match the look of RHS one (rather than functional)?

@Onoff I can't believe the lengths you go to- amazing, incredibly ambitious project that. Just a mite out of reach for me perhaps!

Edited by zoothorn

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Onoff I can't believe the lengths you go to- amazing, incredibly ambitious project that. Just a mite out of reach for me perhaps!

It's the finish line eludes me! Why finish one project when you can start 10! :ph34r:

Tbh the gate and to some extent the bathroom are just CAD drawings made real. I literally made the shuttering to the CAD dimensions,   had the gate frame made again to the CAD drawing. 

Edited by Onoff

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

@Redoctober those look splendid as does your fine abode- lovely! And a great reference point cheers. 

And I do like your bendy edge verticals: is the idea here the RHS one needed for structure/ extra bracing.. & the LHS one on the small side there solely to match the look of RHS one (rather than functional)?

Thanks, I think the look is called Yeoman Gates and you are right - the LHS gate has a curve to tie in with the RHS. Nothing more.

25 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff did you cut your scaffold plank biscuit rebate grooves.. with your elu tablesaw? is that the best method? I have a biscuit handjob (now behave) which is crap.. I can rarely align 2 edges perfectly.

Yes ran them through the Elu on edge. Best method I could think of but best with a helper to receive the wood as they can help pull it through.

Biscuit bit in a router is another option.

I chamfered all 4 long edges too. These reject scaffold boards can vary on the thickness by a few mm so that helps hide it.

I only glued them in one side. It's so as the timber shrinks and grows with the seasons there's never a gap between the boards

SAM_8417

8 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

These are our gates when we put them in a few years ago. They are from Jacksons Fencing.

IMG_20151201_110950.thumb.jpg.8173c7f6106536c24b1c55955d175172.jpg

Those look great too & pretty much my size. Is that "60/40"? and what distance between your posts?