Hitachi Drill Charger

Onoff

Thanks all! Looks like @dpmiller found the same link. But is it brown/black/ORANGE?

Looks almost brown/black/brown...

Some confusion between 1k & 10K...

http://www.fixya.com/support/t8214626-resister_r8_hitachi_uc18yrl_charger

1st answer says:

"Hi Mark,
R8 Should be a 1000 Ohm 1/4Watt resistor
Rgds Ray"

A bit further down:

R8 looks like a 10K 1/4 watt resistor.

Then:

"The values that i read:
R3 = 4.7 ohm, savety 1/4 W
R4 = 47 ohm, savety 1/4 W
R8 = 1 k ohm, 1/8 W (seen on working PCB) 
R9 = 0.47 ohm, savety 1/2 W
these resistors and Fet: 2SK2996 were defective"

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

The old 4 band ones were easy, at a glance. 

Yes, they were, also the colours were easier to distinguish.  I can think in the old colour codes, and look through a box of resistors and subconsciously view them in terms of value, without having to think about converting colours to numbers (might be a side effect of synesthesia, though, as I think of words as colours anyway, today is black, being Sunday).  The newer, dark coloured, resistors, with the new (well, ~20 year old now) colour code are a lot harder to decode, and often seem to need both mental effort and a magnifying glass.  I find the new brown and red bands particularly challenging to distinguish.  I'm not colour blind either, but can sense what it might be like to be colour blind when trying to decode these, especially some of the dark background MF12 series ones.

41 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, they were, also the colours were easier to distinguish.  I can think in the old colour codes, and look through a box of resistors and subconsciously view them in terms of value, without having to think about converting colours to numbers (might be a side effect of synesthesia, though, as I think of words as colours anyway, today is black, being Sunday).  The newer, dark coloured, resistors, with the new (well, ~20 year old now) colour code are a lot harder to decode, and often seem to need both mental effort and a magnifying glass.  I find the new brown and red bands particularly challenging to distinguish.  I'm not colour blind either, but can sense what it might be like to be colour blind when trying to decode these, especially some of the dark background MF12 series ones.

I was about 12 I think and more interested in scavenging old tvs, hi-fis or anything with a plug from dumps and tips than anything at school.

As payment for digging a neighbours footings me and a mate got breakfast bought for us in some cafe in Deptford opposite the doss house. He got cash on top, I got the whole E12 range of resistors from Garlands!

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

I've still got the remains of an E12 pack from John Bull's...

Stephensons in Bromley, Rapid in Eynsford, Filmers in Dartford....God I loved old school electronics shops! Bi-Pak,  Greenweld, TK Electronics...

Then Maplin came along and killed them all.

Indeed. And everybody sold the same Altai stuff.

As a teenager, I worked in an electronics repair shop- TV, video, group gear, CB. The Boss made a proposition to Maplin which they flat out refused. It was another ten years before they appeared in NI.

Still, we had access to RS, CPC, HRS, Willowvale as well as as a couple of local distributors of tat...