Dave's Petrol Drill Thread

Onoff

I could really use a small chainsaw around the place. General branch trimming and more so now as I need to cut back some small trees and scrub to find my cess pit.

BiL's just bought a 36V jobbie that takes two 18V batteries. He's an old school out and out petrol head who's been petrol chainsawing pallets etc for years for firewood. Has half a dozen chainsaws, all petrol inc some real monsters. For him to rate the Makita one it must be good!

20190317_120150.thumb.jpg.23c116001174f8cd19632b30658743a5.jpg

I can pick up a bare DUC302 for just shy of £100 from a quick search. BiL is using a couple of clone 5Ah batteries and a dual charger on his and well impressed. 

20190317_120155.thumb.jpg.14449a94310d558beadec10cf58cba45.jpg

I'm down to 2 clone 3Ah batteries here and a single charger. Hoping that'll get me by until some more pennies in the bank.

Edited by Onoff

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

For me it has to be petrol as it gets used away for home and I just dislike batteries and the fact they don't last long (I would have a petrol cordless drill if someone made one)

that really is  a petrol head .LOL

a wee 4stroke model aero engine  is what you need .lol

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

For me it has to be petrol as it gets used away for home and I just dislike batteries and the fact they don't last long (I would have a petrol cordless drill if someone made one)

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Construction-Machinery/Petrol-earth-augers-and-hand-held-drill/216937-540/BT-45.aspx

there you go

Speaking with the BiL and he reckons the "one handed" chainsaw like this:

duc302z_2_1.thumb.jpg.a7d3b6e0bd2b6847d25000649ac1f573.jpg

Is more dangerous to use than a two hander like this:

makduc355z1.thumb.jpg.9ebaf598c7b09b07b29d55ae17186222.jpg

Something to do with kick back?

Speed wise the first is 8m/s the second 0-20m/s if that makes any difference?

I can get a bare unit like the second one for about £115.

3 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

Don't tempt me.

Price though.  You can get any petrol power tool for under £100 and an SDS drill for £50. So why does sticking the gearbox of a drill onto the engine from a strimmer or chainsaw result in a £500 price tag?  And it's only as wood drill no hammer action let alone SDS.

2 out of 10 for trying.

20 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

Again, no SDS.  When drilling outside (lets face it you would not use this indoors) there is a high probability you want to drill brick or concrete, so SDS is pretty essential.