Decking and DPC levels

I've been searching the term "NHBC timber decking 150mm" hoping to find specifics regarding decking installation. Thinking if the builder is promoting their adherence to NHBC guidelines and they're clearly not, you might have more recourse in getting it sorted:

Screenshot_20190413-122035_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9102d95b443af4f4bbbe6210e927042a.jpg

Seems mainly to relate to balconies so far. Been finding NHBC technical documents that point to the Timber Decking &  Cladding Association, like this:

TDCA_Builders_Guide.pdf

I wonder if the Code of Practice 0801: Raised Timber Decks to meet NHBC standards if you can lay your hands on it might help prove what a crap install you have.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I've been searching the term "NHBC timber decking 150mm" hoping to find specifics regarding decking installation. Thinking if the builder is promoting their adherence to NHBC guidelines and they're clearly not, you might have more recourse in getting it sorted:

Screenshot_20190413-122035_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9102d95b443af4f4bbbe6210e927042a.jpg

Seems mainly to relate to balconies so far. Been finding NHBC technical documents that point to the Timber Decking &  Cladding Association, like this:

TDCA_Builders_Guide.pdf

I wonder if the Code of Practice 0801: Raised Timber Decks to meet NHBC standards if you can lay your hands on it might help prove what a crap install you have.

Thanks Omar, I will try but I'm with LABC

4 hours ago, Bri44 said:

Mr Punter. What would you say is the fix?

would simply cutting the deck back by 150mm prevent damp and meet with building regulations, plus not be a hazard because of said 150mm gap it will create.

@Bri44 if you put an @ before someones username you can chose it from a dropdown list and they get a notification.

I don't think this is a building regs issue but one of workmanship.  Your builder could have left bare earth 150mm below dpc and if would have been OK.  If they fitted the decking and astroturf it should have been installed correctly.  From the pics it looks like it is rotten and it needs to be removed.  I am not a fan of cheap softwood decking as it only lasts about 5 years and looks crap after 2.  Perhaps suggest that the developer makes an offer of payment in settlement of your claim and you can go your separate ways.

10 minutes ago, Bri44 said:

@Mr Punter They don`t want to know. As far as they are concerned the deck is not their problem, they just have to prevent it from causing damp which is why they think cutting it back by 150mm will solve it.

They provided the damn thing so whilst it would be very convenient for them to say that it's not their problem they have sold you something that is unfit for purpose so it is their issue to sort. 

I totally agree with you. They are forcing me to resort to having my own surveys etc which will all cost me quite a bit, and then they will still deny liability. It is their customer services who will deny everything, then their management backs them up. Some of the rubbish they spew at me in emails is laughable.

My roof leaked the first day I moved in, site manager said it was because the lead was being replaced which was a lie. 

It then leaked in three places which made them investigate and fix.

I climbed up the scaffold and took pictures after the fix, water pooling on the roof still, tiles sticking out and rattling in the wind. The developer saying it's fine even though they never inspected the work, then I got LABC involved who said water pooling is a fault. Next roofer said the first one did a bad job and it all needs ripped off and done correctly.

If I had not climbed up, took pictures and videos, I`d be none the wiser until it leaked again.

This is the hole in the roof that was simply tiled over when I bought the house.

This is after first rookers removed tiles.

23376157_494769564212029_2078406042531017018_n.jpg

This what the roof looked like before the first repair.

Bloor homes faulty roof.JPG

This is the water pooling up after the first repair, the roof was lower than the exit point by an inch and a half for the drainpipes so the water had nowhere to go and they said it`s not a fault.

bloor homes.PNG

Edited by Bri44

• 2 months later...

Still waiting on a schedule of works to explain what the suggested works will involve before I can make a decision to go ahead or not. Developer writes to me a few weeks back saying.... As you are not allowing access for the works to commence, we take this as you don`t want the work/repairs to be carried out.

They were trying to put the blame on me for delaying or preventing work.

I`ve told them I`m waiting on a schedule of works which I`ve requested 10 times. 

In total they have sent 5 different contractors out, yet can`t send this schedule to me.

Waiting on another arriving today for his opinion. Will they give an honest opinion on what needs to be done or will they quote what the developer wants as a cheap fix.

The boards under the grass have failed in 2 more places, my foot went straight through.

Once I receive a schedule of works i will decide what needs to be done.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

• 1 year later...