Excited self builder

patp

We are a retired couple who have been lucky enough to get planning permission to build a bungalow in our garden (it is a very large garden :) )

This is our first complete build though we have renovated our 3 previous houses. Chris, my husband, is a plumber and so understands the building trade. He has not, due to knackered knees, worked at plumbing for quite a while. Having said that he completely re plumbed our current house during a recent re modelling. He just sat down for the kneeling jobs!

We will have to sell our house to finance the complete build but hope to have enough saved up to put the shell up. I will pop off and post my first question about how much the shell is likely to cost.

• Like 1

Hello, I joined minutes before you and I can already answer someone's question!?

We are looking to build a small 2 bed bungalow 10m x 8.5m. The costs we have at the moment total app £46000.00. This covers foundations ( top end estimate as we might have problems) cavity walls with block interior and sandstone exterior, internal block walls, windows, roof with concrete tiles, guttering etc. This is WITHOUT labour costs, just materials and does not cover the interior. Also, we have not factored in gas or electric mains connection cos we can't have them, and no drains connection cos we are fitting our own septic tank and soakaway. Obviously depends on the size of the home your building and the materials you choose, but hopefully this might help a bit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NeverEnoughCake said:

septic tank and soakaway

That will need secondary treatment or similar.

You are likely to end up with extra expenditure of at least a couple of thousand for that.

See Welsh Building Regs.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

42 minutes ago, patp said:

We are a retired couple who have been lucky enough to get planning permission to build a bungalow in our garden (it is a very large garden :) )

This is our first complete build though we have renovated our 3 previous houses. Chris, my husband, is a plumber and so understands the building trade. He has not, due to knackered knees, worked at plumbing for quite a while. Having said that he completely re plumbed our current house during a recent re modelling. He just sat down for the kneeling jobs!

We will have to sell our house to finance the complete build but hope to have enough saved up to put the shell up. I will pop off and post my first question about how much the shell is likely to cost.

Good luck. I have to sit on my bum aswell. Can't kneel down. Bum shuffling works well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NeverEnoughCake said:

Also, we have not factored in gas or electric mains connection cos we can't have them, and no drains connection cos we are fitting our own septic tank and soakaway.

@Ferdinand's right.  There's a preference order for sewage treatment that is:

1.  If at all practical, connect to mains drainage, even if this means installing a pumped system.

2.  If it's not practical to connect to mains drainage, then install an approved treatment plant, draining to land drains, a watercourse (needs separate consent) or drainage mound.

3. If fitting a septic tank, then tertiary aerobic treatment is required.  There's some difference between different areas as to how to do this, but the general principle is that aerobic leach field treatment may not be adequate, because of it's relatively short operating life.

4. A cess pit may only be used if there is no other practical way to deal with effluent, and is not recommended.

The cost of installing an approved treatment plant is pretty much the same as that for installing a septic tank and leach field, so overall there's no good reason to consider installing a septic tank now.  I suspect it won't be long before pre-manufactured septic tanks stop being sold.

2 hours ago, NeverEnoughCake said:

Hello, I joined minutes before you and I can already answer someone's question!?

We are looking to build a small 2 bed bungalow 10m x 8.5m. The costs we have at the moment total app £46000.00. This covers foundations ( top end estimate as we might have problems) cavity walls with block interior and sandstone exterior, internal block walls, windows, roof with concrete tiles, guttering etc. This is WITHOUT labour costs, just materials and does not cover the interior. Also, we have not factored in gas or electric mains connection cos we can't have them, and no drains connection cos we are fitting our own septic tank and soakaway. Obviously depends on the size of the home your building and the materials you choose, but hopefully this might help a bit.

Thanks Cake that is helpful. The plans that were approved are for a 3 bed L shaped bungalow, so might be a little more than your costs. Once we get the shell up we can put our house on the market and have somewhere, like the garage, to put the furniture while we continue the build. Chris is already talking about buying a mini digger (he is a bit of a tractor and machinery lover). We do have a large caravan to live in on site. Furniture storage is a concern to me. Will it be ok in an unheated garage or should we make arrangements to have some sort of heating in there?

Patp

Definitely get some sort of heating. We have tried several types of storage. Previously, during a house renovation, we put everything in a big yellow storage facility. Stuff was secure and dry, but we hired such a large unit that the costs were considerable because we used it for 6 months. At the moment, we are like you living in a caravan because we sold our property. We gave away most of the stuff we knew we wouldn't need because of downsizing, but the remainder is stored in a barn. It's not good! White goods are fine..but if your thinking of upholstery, or mattresses etc cover it well and keep away from damp. I suspect your things will be better off than ours in a modern garage compared to a ropey old barn though!! In summary, if costs allowed, I would opt for a storage facility.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeverEnoughCake said:

The costs we have at the moment total app £46000.00. This covers foundations ( top end estimate as we might have problems) cavity walls with block interior and sandstone exterior, internal block walls, windows, roof with concrete tiles, guttering etc. This is WITHOUT labour costs, just materials and does not cover the interior. Also, we have not factored in gas or electric mains connection cos we can't have them, and no drains connection cos we are fitting our own septic tank and soakaway.

Do you have a breakdown of the £46k?

EpsilonGreedy

Here goes..

Windows and doors 7.5k

Roof and insulation 6.5k

Blocks and ties 3.7k

Lintels 1.5k

Sandstone 7.2k

Mortar and plasticiser 1.3k

Foundations 12k?

Wall insulation 700.00

Stone cills 1k

Surecav cavity system 3k

Scaffold, skip, portaloo..1.5k

This is materials only, and does not include LABOUR or legal costs. Does not include site insurance cost or plant hire. Does not include ANY mains connections.

• Like 1