Septic Tank v Sewage Treatment Plant

Had a call from from my new neighbour earlier. Turns out it wasn't a treatment plant I saw being lowered into his front garden that I saw driving by. 

It was in fact a giant LPG tank! ?

He's still got a big "hole in the ground" like us but the vendors had it emptied before he bought it. Has said he may be considering a treatment plant at some time in the future.

Back to square one.

Got a mate in NZ who's recently sold up his rural smallholding and moved for the the comforts of town. His water supply was rain through a rudimentary filter into a big tank. His wc was a "long drop" that would periodically need redigging!

At the NEC recently we spoke with several companies about sewage treatment works.  We know we will have an issue with the discharge as the land slope gently upwards where we want to discharge towards and we have a very high water table.  They all talked about a pumped outlet - we know this is the way we will have to go, and discharging into a raised mound.  We started to talk about a reed bed and they all shuddered and advised against it.  When we clarified - we were just taking about an area that was raised but also planted up they relaxed a little.