New House Programme: Scotland's Home of the Year

ultramods

Pointing this out in case anyone is interested, it started last night on the new Scotland channel on the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00043v0/scotlands-home-of-the-year

The quality of the programme isn't quite as good as some of the channel 4 property programmes, however still worth a watch if you like property programmes.

• Like 1

I haven't watched this yet, but is the first program on the new BBC Scotland channel that has looked remotely worth watching.

For Sky and freesat viewers you can get BBC Scotland even if you do not live in Scotland.

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Disappointing first episode imo, although I always find it a bizarre premise for a program, which one is best?

You never get to hear about the budgets, clients brief, planning restrictions etc  i.e. the things that actually impact the design and quality of finish...

(the blogger did not come across well, where did they find her!?)

Kate La Vie seems to be a medium-high level social media influencer / lifestyle blogger. Very self-made. Her brand choice is excellently done ... has all the accounts in the same name etc.

I do not know about her TV skills yet, but I quite like her ethos ... quite an old style blogger (2009) who transitioned, and I like the reasonable transparency of her stance, and quite down to earth. 

The ‘million followers’ is a bit hype-y. Not sure that a Facebook Like = a follower.

http://www.katelavie.com/faqs

http://www.katelavie.com/disclaimer

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Watched this last night.

I think they are trying hard, and the judges grew on me, but that the format is a mongrel for something looking for a Home of the Year, and that partially cripples it.

1 Three houses. 

2. Couple talk about their home, and are taken away, Identify Favourite Place.

3. Judges .. an architect, an interior designer, and a lifestyle blogger, are dropped off and walk up to and around it. They explore the house for some time - the meat of the prog. then mark it out of 10 for functionality, design, and something I have forgotten.

4. The houses are compared by score and one shortlisted for the final prog.

Problems

1. Scoring like washing machines does not work.

2. If it is about Home then the judges should interact with the people who live there, and how the people interact with the house. They should not judge just the house.

3. too much depends on the personal prejudice of the judges.

4. the houses are far too samey .. they are all well off people building detached on idyllic sites. And it is sign done by region, so this could continue. They should have made it granular eg one below 200k, one 2-400, and one unlimited.

The format is like one from a minor Tv station ... Best House in Town from last year, which avoided the issue by having everything from refurbed terraces to big detached.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Just watched this weeks episode.

Again, building regs issues.  The Eco house at Findhorn (a place I know well)  Has a U shaped kitchen with barely a metre between the 2 sides of the U, falls foul of the minimum 1400mm "circulation space"  and a Mezanine floor with a near verttical ladder to access it.