3 metal silos and one new build and one conversion

hallega

Hi everyone,  well our planning aplication is almost there, got it once but decided to add a basement, the first was refused and so l put it in again but smaller, we will see by the end of the month whether we got it or not. 

In the meantime we have been working on 3 metal silo's and have connected them so that we can move between them, this has created a 2 bed property with a kitchen/diner, lounge, utility room, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a chill out area. It's not been a cheap job, my idea of buying a caravan and making it cosy was rejected by the hubby, we then looked at a log cabin at 29 grand and he said no way...so l said why don't we convert the silos! Well we did start them without permission as they were already a gym with facilities but it wasn't insulated and it was an oven in the summer and a freezer in the winter. 

Then someone gave us the nod and we had to go for planning, refused the 1st time as someone put the red line around the wrong area, no parking, no amenities, and no access to the highway, even though the planning officer arrived on sit, parked his car and we have 90 acres...O'h well. Planning no 2 was handles by a consultant who was amazing, a rotweiller in a jag...like her a lot!

Planning came through last friday along with 10 conditions, I'm wading through these at the moment, my worst nightmare is the soil sampling. 

If you have any questions regarding the silo's, pleaseask and I'll do my best to answer them .

Onwards and upwards and as my daughter says  "STILL WINNING".

Morning all, thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure what ICBM's are Onoff, but the floors were perforated, there were ducts in the sides, machinery at the rear and gantries on the top, ladders attached inside and out, a lid on each on the roofs, they hadn't been used as grain silo's for some years I suspect as we have been here 32 of those and the folks before didn't use them. The Farm was a working one in the 50's and then sometime in the late 60's early 70's it was sold at auction which then decided it's fate of being chopped up into many areas and sold off as "amenity" spaces of an acre or so, we bought the house, 300 year old barn, a small stable and sand school and about an acre field. Over the years we have managed to buy another 90 odd acres along with other buildings, but there are still 10 + owners of the original farm.

OK....here are your photo's, not finished yet, still to put in the bathrooms and kitchens. Underfloor electric heating in all three, hubby managed to cut off the top of his middle finger, break the one next to it and quite severly damage the little finger mixing the screed with a "mudley" let this be a warning to one an all..(a) don't rush the job (b) don't ask your friend who was a milkman to actually handle this machine (bless him, he's 73 and has NO idea on safety measures) (c) don't lean in too close with the bag because it's windy. 60 odd years of doing this job himself, day in day out and NEVER a problem, now he only has 7 1/2 fingers  left! We have an amazing friend who did the wood structure inside, hubby took three weeks to cut all the cedar shingles to fit the corrugated profile. they are 5 metres round. The metal entrance doors are now windows pic 2.

IMG_5781.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

• Like 1

Pro dave, we asked for temporary but the council said no, we asked for "bed and breakfast"...No...too far from the house, they made us go for full planning. I have no intention of selling them off seperately but in the future who knows what the kids will do, although the kids are 48 and 45!!  I am not happy with the rates at over £3000.00 though and intend to argue on that point!

There may be some inspiration for you in one of the houses shortlisted for House of the Year 2018.

Made in concrete cylinders cast from corrugated formwork, it is called VEX.

https://www.architecture.com/awards-and-competitions-landing-page/awards/riba-regional-awards/riba-london-award-winners/2018/vex

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/riba-house-of-the-year-2018-two-more-homes-added-to-shortlist/10037431.article

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

There may be some inspiration for you in one of the houses shortlisted for House of the Year 2018.

Made in concrete cylinders cast from corrugated formwork, it is called VEX.

https://www.architecture.com/awards-and-competitions-landing-page/awards/riba-regional-awards/riba-london-award-winners/2018/vex

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/riba-house-of-the-year-2018-two-more-homes-added-to-shortlist/10037431.article

F

Wow. That is stunning. As you say God is in the details.

57 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Welcome.

That ever so slightly reminds of Ricardo Bofill’s cement factory conversion in Barcelona.

That is also made from silos, albeit 30 of them with an area of 500 sqm.

https://twistedsifter.com/2011/04/cement-factory-conversion-ricardo-bofill-barcelona/

Ferdinand

Taller_d%E2%80%99Arquitectura_Sant_Just_

Wow. What a stunning place. I would live there in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

Wow. What a stunning place. I would live there in a heartbeat.

In Barcelona it would be attractive to me due to the temperature in summer.

Not quite so sure about the same thing in say Scapa Flo or Skegness.

Ferdinand, I like the concrete house, I see they used some metal inside as well. I have kept some myself in the connecting area's so that everyone is aware of what they were, polished up nicely. Bit of a nusiance though, I've just left the husband quietly swearing at having to fit door linings, each one is different and very awkward, there was a lot of MDF to sweep up (my job) and now my face is a lovely shade of red, those masks don't suit my delicate skin!

Monday we are off to view a Durisol build. Done the ICF foam, not keen, now all l have to do is persude the hubby that "old school" sometimes needs to be updated. It took my daughter and l years to persude him that solar panels were the way to go, we now have 33 and 26 respectively and BOY are they singing or WHAT!  He's now telling everyone how wonderful they are.....