That Roofers Been Signed Off Sick

Everything was going swimmingly, the roofer had started battening out the roof, however he complained of feeling dizzy whilst on the three storey section, so

i sent him to the doctors. He’s very old school of farming stock and would probably be more comfortable going to the vets! 

The upshot is he’s been signed off sick and needs hospital tests and has to wait until mid May for these. The doctor has told him no more roofs. So that’s it, he’s told me to find someone else! 

I’ve  wished him a speedy recovery, he is a really nice local guy and I’m gutted for him as he’s no pension, so relies on local roofing and small building jobs.

He’s irreplaceable, but somehow I’ve got to find a replacement. If only I had a magic wand, I’d wave it for him.

Gutted! 

What a shame, I have just heard my bricklayer/builder that did such a good job on my build has just had a stroke and is in a bad way, self employed, ex military fit guy 6 years younger than me. Hope you find someone soon.

Is he able to come onsite and supervise/advise someone else doing the work? You could pay him something for his presence, which would help him out.

Depends on whether you're able to get another roofer (or general builder) cheaply enough, and who's willing to work under such supervision.

59 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Everything was going swimmingly, the roofer had started battening out the roof, however he complained of feeling dizzy whilst on the three storey section, so

i sent him to the doctors. He’s very old school of farming stock and would probably be more comfortable going to the vets! 

The upshot is he’s been signed off sick and needs hospital tests and has to wait until mid May for these. The doctor has told him no more roofs. So that’s it, he’s told me to find someone else! 

I’ve  wished him a speedy recovery, he is a really nice local guy and I’m gutted for him as he’s no pension, so relies on local roofing and small building jobs.

He’s irreplaceable, but somehow I’ve got to find a replacement. If only I had a magic wand, I’d wave it for him.

Gutted! 

Pay for him to go private

it could be the best grand you’ve spent. 

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Pay for him to go private

it could be the best grand you’ve spent. 

Could be a bit more than that if it’s a CT scan, possibly MRI, blood tests, consultant appointment and follow up, and if he’s still dizzy it might not help much even with a diagnosis. 

I have the utmost sympathy for him. 

I had a bout of vestibular neuronitis  around 30 odd years ago and it was, without any shadow of doubt, the very worst few weeks of my life.  The slightest movement would make me sick, and even trying to lie down, and stay as still as possible, was little relief, as everything carried on moving around me.  If you can imagine that feeling you get when so completely pissed that nothing will stay still, but without any of the anaesthetic effects of alcohol then that's pretty much it, 24/7, for weeks on end.  It took around 6 weeks to sort itself out, and even relatively simple things, like going to the bathroom, became activities that took hours, with frequent stops to try and control the vertigo and nausea. I can still remember pretty much every moment of that time, it was that dreadful. 

I had a little bout of dizziness and after seeing my GP she recommended looking at Utube !,,,, apparently crystals can build up in the ear canal but it can be drained by moving your head in certain directions and lying fir a while in a certain position, it worked! (for me). Sounds like your roofer has something worse, perhaps like JSH. Good for you for sending him to the doc, imagine if he fell off your roof!

Edited by joe90

Went to seek the advice of a neighbours last night regarding good local roofers.

This morning I’ve got to hunt down a guy known locally as “Old Fruit”. I asked the neighbour “don’t you know his real name” the answer, “no!, I’ve only ever known him as Old Fruit” So I have no phone number and only a vague idea where he lives.

Wish me luck as I go looking for Old Fruit !

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

Went to seek the advice of a neighbours last night regarding good local roofers.

This morning I’ve got to hunt down a guy known locally as “Old Fruit”. I asked the neighbour “don’t you know his real name” the answer, “no!, I’ve only ever known him as Old Fruit” So I have no phone number and only a vague idea where he lives.

Wish me luck as I go looking for Old Fruit !

Not heard of him in Burton, try further North!!

3 hours ago, newhome said:

Local pub! Bet they know who he is, or the local shop. 

Good idea.

Thursday evening is when the local trades guys meet in the pub, I’ll go along and see if @nyoe knows him, or even better, he might be there!

19 hours ago, joe90 said:

I had a little bout of dizziness and after seeing my GP she recommended looking at Utube !,,,, apparently crystals can build up in the ear canal but it can be drained by moving your head in certain directions and lying fir a while in a certain position, it worked! (for me).

Benign positional vertigo. I had this about 25 years ago and it was horrible. If it's related to debris in the fluid of the balancing circuits, there's a sequence of rotations you can do that bring relief, basically by moving the debris to a stable position in the circuit. I think mine was just some inflammation due to a virus - the overwhelming sensation that you were moving when you clearly weren't was horrible.

Exactly like being drunk to the point where you can't lie down because the room is spinning (what was it Dean Martin said? You're not really drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on).

• Haha 1

Success, Old Fruit has been located.

Having door knocked a number of houses I was finally pointed in the direction of his parents house! 

So Old Fruit, he’s actually called Chris, is coming on site on Friday to look at the job and give me a price!

• Like 4