Tiling Onto Damp Wall

He's set on going for 10mm tile backer boards, specifically these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tile-Backer-Board-6mm-10mm-Insulation-Boards-100wsh/371609458052?hash=item5685a65584:m:moAK8YbYeDtX2FmblbtDoYw&frcectupt=true

tbb.thumb.JPG.997a6027391c2fe191b9d2c9bef79572.JPG

Is there a guide for putting these up anyone knows of as in type of fixings (the boards come with "washers"), number & spacing of fixings per board, what to do where the boards abut one another as in leave a gap or use some sort of adhesive?

He's on about using plugs and screws but I can't help thinking a hammer in type fixing would be better to save positioning the boards and drilling, then removing the board to fit the plugs.

Cheers

With those washers I would just drill a 6mm hole through the board for red plugs and 50mm x 4mm stainless screw and plug through the board. They give you 100 washers, so 10 per board. 1 in each corner and the other 6 spaced around the edges. You could squirt a bit of ct1 in the holes if you want.

18 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

With those washers I would just drill a 6mm hole through the board for red plugs and 50mm x 4mm stainless screw and plug through the board. They give you 100 washers, so 10 per board. 1 in each corner and the other 6 spaced around the edges. You could squirt a bit of ct1 in the holes if you want.

Ta. Was thinking to tank the whole lot with Aqua Seal menbrane when done.

Doesn't seem quite right having no screws in the middle of the board...

Sounds like overkill. I have only used these on the floor and we laid them in tile adhesive. Adhesive plus screws may be best, but 150 centres is intense.  Not so bad if you are fixing down onto a timber sub floor but too much for a wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Well he's had a go. All apparently tanked behind with Aqua Seal

IMG-20190528-WA0008

I'd have to re gloss this rad and the cupboard door above:

IMG-20190528-WA0009

Messy git, not protecting the new bath and taps. I think he used my Fugi tool for the silicone...

IMG-20190528-WA0007

WC wall next as per my other thread. I fear much input from me will be needed. Still, I'm only standing on the shoulders of the giants here!

That window would drive me nuts:

IMG-20190528-WA0006

Sorry is this the rental that you were asking about a geberit offset fitting for..?? I would not be fitting one of those in there - why spend £4-500 on a bog in a house you don’t own .??!!

£65 For a WC set and be done with it. 

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry is this the rental that you were asking about a geberit offset fitting for..?? I would not be fitting one of those in there - why spend £4-500 on a bog in a house you don’t own .??!!

£65 For a WC set and be done with it. 

Yep. Rental. Agreed but not my place/money.

Right, mate's made a faux pas. (Yes, my mate, not me! )

When he's come to fit his shower screen he's tiled the wall and it bows inward roughly like the sketch below. He reckons it touches at the top and bottom but there's "a gap he can put his finger in" so guess about 1/2". Searched solutions suggest ripping tiles off and starting again or cutting a groove in the tiles for the shower screen channel to sit in neither of which he fancies doing. The frame I think allows for the wall to be 6mm out...he's way off!

Any other suggestions? @Nickfromwales?

Cheers

bow.thumb.jpg.e062c838aef6ca9a8a14708aa7ffbaa7.jpg

Edited by Onoff

Usually there is a channel that screws to the wall into which the screen then fits.

Can he not bend that channel to match the wall, or at least get close before the screen goes into the channel?

I wonder if he just unscrewed the screen + channel complete and previously it bowed the other way?

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Usually there is a channel that screws to the wall into which the screen then fits.

Can he not bend that channel to match the wall, or at least get close before the screen goes into the channel?

I wonder if he just unscrewed the screen + channel complete and previously it bowed the other way?

What he's saying is putting channel against the wall and it's 1/2" out in the centre. Almost needs a bow shaped, v.long packer.

I'm thinking on the lines of screw the channel to the wall with the gap, packed out at the fixing points with st/st penny washers. Then affix some white pvc anlge either side stuck on with CT1. Trim the angle plumb to the channel.

bow2.thumb.jpg.4726bb68b1558d3aaaf32d65242be0ed.jpg

The channel is there to allow for non plumb walls etc.  There is usually a lot of tolerance in fitting the screen into the channel so then get the screen plumb, even if the channel is not.

Are you saying the amnount of bend exceeds the depth of the channel so that won't work?

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Since he is obviously happy with bodged, rubbish work, put some spacers under the screws in the middle and empty a tube of silocone sealant in the gap.

A bit harsh ?

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

Any other suggestions? @Nickfromwales

As you said a bit further on, just pack the middle with something non-ferrous ( steel washers vs alu  might have an electrolytic action? ), mask the wall and the channels, pump the void full of clear CT1, square off with a plastic scraper, de-mask and then pvc D-section both sides to suit. 

Not pretty, but 800 times better than whothefeckever suggested cutting a slot into the tiles :S ??????

I wish he'd given me a dimensioned drawing instead of these 4 video clips, can't really gauge the gap on my phone:

VID-20190604-WA0002

VID-20190604-WA0003
VID-20190604-WA0004

VID-20190604-WA0005

Edited by Onoff

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

steel washers vs alu  might have an electrolytic action?

St/st washers would be alright. Just duct tape between the last washer and the ali.

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

pvc D-section both sides to suit. 

Do you mean quadrant? Where do you get it?

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

D section.

Smaller size if poss but ripped down to make long bow shaped infills.  

Cheers. And that'll bend the "wrong" way? With a couple of small clamps whilst it sets I suppose!

I was thinking this:

50847028_W3111-300x300.jpg.0f1233b30364a3366e39e3a395c705d9.jpg

39 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That gap looks a small fraction of the channel thickness. Are you SURE the channel won't just pull in and flex enough to fill that gap?

He's going to re-look at it. Seems there was anyway a bit missing from the fixed screen kit.