Lifting heavy RSJ

pritch

On 09/04/2019 at 17:56, pritch said:

Hi

Thanks for the replies.  

My biggest problem is access.  

The rsj needs to be moved down the side of my house (6ft gap) through into the back garden before I even think about lifting it. 

I first thought around 8 men could manage it, but after reading about people moving similar weights I don't think it's possible.  

I think I may have to bite the bullet and look at booking a crane:( 

I might also buy a  jacuzzi to get my monies worth out of the crane :)

Thanks 

It's 600kg of beam, I think that's the best option. If a sheet of plasterboard falls from a great height, it's not likely to the the end of the world. If something like this sways in a sudden breeze 5m up on a Genie lift, you can do nothing about it safely and the damage could be serious to person and property. 

2 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

It's 600kg of beam, I think that's the best option. If a sheet of plasterboard falls from a great height, it's not likely to the the end of the world. If something like this sways in a sudden breeze 5m up on a Genie lift, you can do nothing about it safely and the damage could be serious to person and property. 

+1

Get a crane and make sure it is big enough and you have a decent slinger / signaller to help.

17 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

So my beam turned up today

bloody hell its huge, I hope I haven’t made a massive boo boo as it’s a feature in my front room ?? 57F2352B-9578-4C3E-9A36-C14BBD708D8C.thumb.jpeg.004f62a3770cd6cb17f33bb239cba85c.jpeg21E7B109-8EC0-4B3C-A586-A79C680A55BC.thumb.jpeg.88c64f4edec6954b08a5f282585658f5.jpeg

Are you still planning on using Genie lifts? I have never used them anywhere near capacity. I would be taking a spare pair of pants to work but as you know if you plan what you are doing and take your time it will be quite satisfying when it is in place.

So that went well, picked up the two gennie lifts at 8 am and beam in position at 12 ish

not a job for the faint hearted

this is how I work and have done for years

do a risk assessment for everything 

not one on paper, in your head, look at what you want to do and work out your plan, then add in everything that could go wrong. 

Then work out the better way reducing the chance of a cock up. 

I decided to lift the beam and build the scaffold as it as it went up, lift beam build a bit more scaffolding 

DF3DA03E-ACBF-46AC-BF4E-DF4B5D668E66.thumb.jpeg.820fdb73a95c7b9b4d3654277b3625a2.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

we just did a 8M beam @350KG with 4 people manhandling it.  That was dragging down a steep slope, up some scaffolding boards onto floor and then man handling to sit on top of the 2.7M high timber frame. Was easy enough and prob took half hour BUT the 3 others were builders who had done it many times before; 4 normal folk would have faffed around a lot and I would probably have then used a couple of interim wood platforms to break the lift into stages.  Genie lifts would have made it very easy but they would have taken longer and more effort to drag down the steep (muddy) slope and get into position than the time it took to man handle the steel