Lifting heavy RSJ

pritch

Hi

I'm slowly getting concerned about lifting my lintel for my new single storey rear extension.  

The lintel will be 7m long and weigh around 600 kg . A crane is an option , but at £500 plus vat I'm looking at other alternatives.  

I have no experience lifting this kind of weight and I'm not really sure if it can be man handled with a bunch of guys. 

Thanks 

20190306_135759.jpg

Edited by pritch

14 people could do it comfortably if they were directed and did as they were told when they were told immediately and without debate. 

Hands on... lift...lift up, said the old soldier.

it is possible but I’m not really being serious, that’s a lot of weight!

I have this to do next week 10570 long just under 600kg got to go up 3.6 m in the air

we intend sliding it on rollers made of scaffolding tube through the door, pushing it with the digger, we will then use two of the gennie lifts to lift it up, we will build a steel scaffolding tower under the beam as we lift it, installing a new lift every 600mm we lift it up, just in case of any mishaps. 

But I consider mine easy, House is not built, access is huge, 

and I have done this many times

if you have limited experience with this I would find somebody to help you with the relevant experience who has half a dozen mates to help. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have this to do next week 10570 long just under 600kg got to go up 3.6 m in the air

we intend sliding it on rollers made of scaffolding tube through the door, pushing it with the digger, we will then use two of the gennie lifts to lift it up, we will build a steel scaffolding tower under the beam as we lift it, installing a new lift every 600mm we lift it up, just in case of any mishaps. 

But I consider mine easy, House is not built, access is huge, 

and I have done this many times

if you have limited experience with this I would find somebody to help you with the relevant experience who has half a dozen mates to help. 

How does the cost compare to hiring a telehandler with jib to hiring two genie lifts?

Your looking at approx 420kg for the box section. What height do you need to lift it to? A genie lift approx £90 a week each, We also hired a telenhandler for a week for £200 plus vat when installing the windows. 

Travis perkins also hire genie lifts.

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

@JamesP do you know what yours weighed, and what the capacity of the lifts was

i was going to use two lifts rated at 350kg each, my beam is aprox 630kg I’m wondering how close to there limit they will be

i had thought of using 3 ??

I think weight was about 390kg. As @Construction Channel said they do wobble. We hired 2 x SL18. Max load 295kg each and height 5.6m.

9 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Genie lifts are excellent bits of kit but need a flat smooth surface to work on.

Think approx 19m I beam @ 7m height with 3x genie lifts.

Screenshot_20190408-211913_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-211620_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-211637_WhatsApp.jpg

Think I'd bottle it at this. Way to top heavy for my liking!

11 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Genie lifts are excellent bits of kit but need a flat smooth surface to work on.

Think approx 19m I beam @ 7m height with 3x genie lifts.

Screenshot_20190408-211913_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-211620_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20190408-211637_WhatsApp.jpg

How did you do that with a genie lift?

The ridge beam must be longer than the gap between the gable ends so won't fit inside the gable ends to be hoisted up.

Unless you hoisted it diagonal and them moved the genie lifts with it up there? That sounds a bit dodgy?

Tbh it was pretty straight forward. Two lifts where enough weight wise so the third was used for manoeuvring. Manoevring the lifts on the polished slab was very easy. The the middle lift turned the opposite way, this firmed up for wobbling. We lifted and moved the beam up the 45' gable. 

When the steel was in place plus 3x genie lifts supporting we lifted the support box section into place with chain blocks. 

Doing it this way gave us time to cut and prep supporting steel etc ourselves. There was no access for a telehandler and to be honest I don't know if there room for a crane. Although looks dodgy in pictures it was a pretty smooth operation.

Screenshot_20190409-090756_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20190409-090742_WhatsApp.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the replies.  

My biggest problem is access.  

The rsj needs to be moved down the side of my house (6ft gap) through into the back garden before I even think about lifting it. 

I first thought around 8 men could manage it, but after reading about people moving similar weights I don't think it's possible.  

I think I may have to bite the bullet and look at booking a crane:( 

I might also buy a  jacuzzi to get my monies worth out of the crane :)

Thanks 

1 minute ago, pritch said:

Hi

Thanks for the replies.  

My biggest problem is access.  

The rsj needs to be moved down the side of my house (6ft gap) through into the back garden before I even think about lifting it. 

I first thought around 8 men could manage it, but after reading about people moving similar weights I don't think it's possible.  

I think I may have to bite the bullet and look at booking a crane:( 

I might also buy a  jacuzzi to get my monies worth out of the crane :)

Thanks 

Is this a new build, have you got a pic.