Anyone else been advised to incorporate compression joints/ movement joints in the render system of their timber frame?

laurenco

14 minutes ago, Temp said:

I'm thinking its a combination of not enough fixings and no expansion gaps between the boards.

Plenty of fixings but possibly the wrong type / size for the panel vent board. 

17 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Plenty of fixings but possibly the wrong type / size for the panel vent board. 

Did the fixings for the battens only screw to the Panelvent?  I made sure that all our battens were carefully lined up so that they were ring shank nailed through the Panelvent into the underlying studs in the frame.  This was made easier as MBC had marked the centreline of the studs with a white chalk line on the breather membrane.  IIRC, we used 75mm ring shanks to nail the 50 x 25 battens in place, so allowing 12mm for the Panelvent there should be around 38mm of each nail that went into the underlying stud.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

They used Euroform Rendaboard 12mm

13 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

wrong type / size for the panel vent board

Not sure what boards were used, what fixings were used and what they were fixed to? I would normally expect to see min 25mm x 50mm battens at 600mm max centres fixed vertically through the sheathing to the timber frame studs with min 60mm stainless screws at max 250mm centres. The boards then fixed to the battens with 30mm stainless screws at max 200mm centres.

29 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

This is what the contractor has suggested should be do-able, just need to figure out how.

Could you drill a hole at the window head and push the probe up?? Would be easier to get at by standing on the lower roof. 

They didn't really stagger the boards much. 

Draw Over Photo1554399834885.png

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Could you drill a hole at the window head and push the probe up?? Would be easier to get at by standing on the lower roof. 

They didn't really stagger the boards much. 

Actually, that JB above the window just covers a sealed penetration for a sky dish so i could drill a hole behind that and drop a probe into the cavity. This is south facing so will get worst of sun.

There's one on the other gable (north) which was a plan B BT connection if the under road ducting didn't work out so could put one there too.

Next question is what type of probe... this looks interesting...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Wireless-Bluetooth-Hygrometer-Thermometer/dp/B07748V35X/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=wireless+thermometer&qid=1554403500&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Edited by Bitpipe

23 hours ago, nod said:

Belt and braces 

I charge £8 per mtr to supply and install exspansion joints 

Like weeps on brickwork

They are just in case  

Vertical or horiztonal joints? (vertical, we could at least hide behind downpipes)

On 04/04/2019 at 08:28, ProDave said:

Render onto wood fibre board. Longest run 11 metres. No expansion joints. No cracking of render.  Baumit.com lime render system with Silicon top finish coat.

Was your 11 metre run on a two storey TF building by any chance ? Johnsons PPG manufacturer are saying a horizontal compression joint would be required all the way round the house as it's two storey, which would kill the look.

6 hours ago, laurenco said:

Was your 11 metre run on a two storey TF building by any chance ? Johnsons PPG manufacturer are saying a horizontal compression joint would be required all the way round the house as it's two storey, which would kill the look.

1 1/2 storey

render_10.thumb.jpg.c101a08ac45ae86a3400197398e7b118.jpgrender_13.thumb.jpg.cea5af7d13b618d9be2dc67192f6d94f.jpg

• Like 1

that's  a real problem 

If I saw it and had not read this I would be thinking there was a  damp  problem and it was cladded with hard board .LOL  --but you say its only when it gets hot .and there is venting behind 

I like the suggestion of a temp probe behind and maybe a moisture one as well ,just to rule it out .

you  or somebody  going to be ripping it all off and starting again  ,thats for sure

could a TF shrink that much ? and if it did why is it expanding again when not hot ?

is there a moisture problem which is drying out in hot weather ? and is it only on side which faces the sun?

really weird problem you got there 

wish you good luck in solving it 

silly suggestion ,but is your tumble dryer vent leaking into cavity  and steaming the back of it ?

Edited by scottishjohn