Free standing bath waste pipe

CC45

Evening all,

Just getting around to fitting our free standing bath and just battling with the waste.   The next job is to connect it up to the waste pipe under the floor - but I'm not sure of the coupling.

The waste pipe that came with the bath looks like this

IMG_3131.thumb.JPG.d7428dff57505adbf83794883e7ecf52.JPG

The end that needs to go into the waste has an external diameter of 39mm - in fact it seems to be tapered slightly from just below 39mm up to just over 39mm - does this get glued into a  solvent welded pipe? or do I need to find a connector?

Does anyone know?

Cheers

TBH that looks like cheap blown polyethylene and I wouldn’t want that under my bath... you need a low profile bath trap - McAlpine make one, as do others. Then you can build up using standard bits.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

TBH that looks like cheap blown polyethylene and I wouldn’t want that under my bath... you need a low profile bath trap - McAlpine make one, as do others. Then you can build up using standard bits.  

OK Peter, so something like this then

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-bath-trap-white-40mm/84362

into a short piece of 40mm pushfit pipe and then connected to

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-flexicon4-flexible-connector-white-40-x-157-242mm/86386

This then onto the 40mm pipe work under the floor.

Shame I can't get a one piece bit.

CC

OK @Onoff got ya now - not too sure anyone will be wanting to look under the bath to see a shiny piece of pipe - it worked on your basin (now I've twigged) but that's visible.  Shows you care - top marks champion.

Okay, so this is a free standing bath, presumably one that fits into a surround (otherwise if the waste was on show it would be a nice looking one)

If it is like mine you are supposed to fit the bath into it's surround with this flexi waste. Then stand the complete bath up on blocks, connect this flexi waste, and remove the blocks and lower the bath into position.

I thought the whole arrangement was total and utter carp.

Instead my bath was mounted on the floor and I connected it from below using a conventional rigid waste and rigid pipe before the ceiling in the room below was fitted.

IF I ever need to remove the bath again, I will cut a small trap in the ceiling below (utility room) to uncouple the rigid waste and trap.

To mitigate the chance of ever needing to remove the bath from it's surround, I used a pop up waste with top entry cleaning, so no mechanics of say the type of waste where you rotate the waste fitting to pop it up for example to go wrong.  And I used a floor standing bath filler, so no tap or flexi hoses within the bath surround to ever go wrong or need replacing.

• Thanks 1

@ProDave has got it - sorry Nick et al.  No ceiling on below the bath yet so it could all be done from below but would like to maintain top access - if it goes wrong it could be accessed from the floor - lift and disconnect the bath & its surround + bit of buggeration = jobs done.

Task for the weekend.

Thanks all.  Its helped me crystallise the task.

This was my bath waste thread 

And this was the waste that I fitted https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-bottle-bath-trap-white-40mm/21158?tc=CA2&ds_kid=92700020953274342&ds_rl=1249799&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjo-qsemP2QIVDT4bCh0L4gPbEAQYFCABEgKsbfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJzK2ofqj9kCFZTiGwodso4Glw

All completely servicable from above. No moving parts within the bath surround to ever need maintenance.

With this trap and a floor standing bath filler, I cannot imagine a reason why I would ever need to lift the bath, but if some unforseen event happens and I do I will cut a small trap in the ceiling below to disconnect the rigid waste.

1 hour ago, CC45 said:

so did you cut a hole in the floor to allow some space for this?  I would have to do this - the clearance between the bath and floor isn't that much.

:)

We had the exact same situation.

Plumber left the first fix 40mm waste poking up through bathroom floor, tiler neatly tiled around it (underneath tiles was latex, ufh heaiting matt, backer board and 22mm OSB deck).

Plumber returned, for 2nd fix took a look a the supplied trap and laughed. 

We then had to cut a hole in the newly tiled floor (thankfully UFH mat was not under bath) and fit a standard trap with flex connector to bath.

As it's a 'wet room' style we needed to put a 'wall' of sealant around the edge of the hole to prevent any water finding its way in and down to ceiling below. Nick also suggested getting some angle bead, mitring the corners and  folding it into a square shape and sealing down the edges.

Had to do this in two bathrooms.

All worked out but total faff.

• Thanks 1

Yes I cut a square hole in the floor to fit the waste pipe from below once the bath was in.

bathroom_4.thumb.jpg.fb03e3dd51a34233c09914f5835fe87f.jpg

I was constrained by the position of a joist, so it ended up as just a slot. The outline of the bath is drawn on the floor there.  

So I fitted the trap, a short length of waste pipe from the trap and an elbow and lowered that onto the bath surround that left the waste pipe projecting down below the floor to connect to under the floor.

There was enough height that the trap fitted in the gap between the bottom of the bath and the floor.

• Thanks 1