Nail guns.

K78

52 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Via eBay ..? Get them to test it and show you a video of it..?

It’s a bad idea. Knowing my luck I’ll buy a dud. 

Im about to go for this. https://www.kelvinpowertools.com/paslode-im360ci-framing-nailer-c-116-p-8279

Paslode say it’s a upgrade on the im350. But some say it isn’t as reliable and the round head nails are expensive. 

I bought dozens of boxes of nails via Gumtree at half or more the screwfix price.

did suspect that some had questionable provenance as most sellers were building guys living in ordinary houses...some boxes *might* have been liberated from whatever site 

• Like 1

I bought I think it was 16000 45mm collated nails cheap when I did my fence. Don't think I'll ever have to buy any more! :)

Wish I could fix my 90mm air nailer. Even got an overhaul / seal kit from the States to no avail.

I have the IM360ci. Done about 6000 or so nails with no problems. But, yes, the nails are the same as on the 350 and you could use clone nails but the gas bottles are different so you're stuck with buying Paslode packs for all practical purposes. Got another 2200 90mm ring nails the other day for £54 (+VAT).

When I bought it two years ago I dithered between the IM350 and IM360. I knew that I could get cheaper (non-Paslode) nails for the IM350 but they had the IM360 on special offer so the actual gun was cheaper, having a Li-ion battery was attractive and my thinking was that by the time I'm done the 360 might have a better resale value. Not sure now if that was a wise decision but probably not a terrible one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I've had an air nailer for years; bought it second hand very cheaply and it's never once faltered.  Just needs a bit of oil now and again.  Gas nailers seem to be mainly a European thing, as when I was in the US every framer seemed to use an air nailer.

The guys who nailed our cladding in place had a problem with cold gas cartridges, and one of them kept a spare cartridge tucked inside his pants to keep it warm....

When it is cold you put the gas cartridge in your morning brew and that sorts it out good and proper!

2 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

I have the IM360ci. Done about 6000 or so nails with no problems. But, yes, the nails are the same as on the 350 and you could use clone nails but the gas bottles are different so you're stuck with buying Paslode packs for all practical purposes. Got another 2200 90mm ring nails the other day for £54 (+VAT).

When I bought it two years ago I dithered between the IM350 and IM360. I knew that I could get cheaper (non-Paslode) nails for the IM350 but they had the IM360 on special offer so the actual gun was cheaper, having a Li-ion battery was attractive and my thinking was that by the time I'm done the 360 might have a better resale value. Not sure now if that was a wise decision but probably not a terrible one.

The IM360 is slightly cheaper now. The 350 is also li-ion battery now. 

I don’t think there is much difference other than the 360 has a different nail type?

I would happily buy either. 

Edited by K78

12 minutes ago, K78 said:

The 350 is also li-ion battery now. 

Is that the 350+? Saw them the other day but didn't investigate.

12 minutes ago, K78 said:

I don’t think there is much difference other than the 360 has a different nail type?

As it was explained to me, the 350 and 360 take the same nail types but they have different gas cartridges. You buy packs of nails and cartridges together (e.g., 2200 90mm nails + 3 cartridges). I think you can buy cartridges separately but they're so expensive that you can't save money by buying them and nails from another manufacturer.

At the time I bought mine Montana did nail packs with cartridges compatible with the 350 but not ones compatible with the 360. The Montana packs were about half the price of the Paslode ones. I should have checked the other day to see if they now do ones compatible with the 360 but, given there's a li-ion version of the 350 out now I suspect they won't. Ugger.

BTW, the chaps who did my sarking last year used Makita nails guns. They dropped quite a few half strips of 50mm Makita nails around the site which I picked up and have used in my Paslode with no problem.

Edited by Ed Davies
  • Like 1

I’ve read the 360 can fire round head nails and screw head nails. But they are expensive compared you the standard ones. 

Screwfix reviews and questions can be quite useful. 

9C34CA74-F15D-4D23-9010-0FE00ED1D2E0.png

Edited by K78

Interesting, it's obviously more complicated than what was explained to me. Still, I think all the nails I've bought (Paslode packs specifically for the IM360ci) are clipped head.

The other thing that swayed me towards the 360 was that it can do 90mm ring nails whereas the 350 can only do 90mm round/smooth ones. Actually, the 360 does struggle a bit with 90mm ring if there's some tougher wood in the way. E..g, the other day I was doing some JJI beam blocking firing them through 2x18mm ply + 3x9mm OSB3 and about half the nails needed a few taps with a hammer to get them right in. Same layers but all OSB and that very rarely happens.

That table says “Power (impact force):” 82 J for the 350 and 105 J for the 360. Apart from that being “impact energy” (joules don't measure power or force) that would explain the difference.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, K78 said:

I’m tempted to take a chance on a used Paslode IM350. 

Is that a bad idea?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASLODE-IM350-FRAMING-NAILER-FULL-KIT-WITH-ORIGINAL-CASE-491-GREAT-PRICE/233182607919?hash=item364ac43a2f:g:lTIAAOSwsAVcniuT

i've bought from this company before and was impressed with their service

• Like 1