What type of light switches have people chosen?

Pete

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Be sure to fit deep enough back boxes. Some flat plate stuff needs them.

For a good range with lots of pretty pictures the missus can look at, :) get yourself a TLC catalogue:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/catalogue-requests/new

Fitted 35mm boxes and they are behind the plasterboard so plenty of room. Thanks anyway

Click mode / deco range is brilliant. You can take a 4g 2-way switch and remove 2 switches and replace with intermediate / momentary push / other and it still looks like a generic switch. A1 ?

Rounded edges like MK logic and a very light switch action with a quiet ‘click’ rather than the chunky ones which ‘snap’ on / off. Quite important in a TF house so choose well ;)  

Big thanks to @ProDave for mentioning them elsewhere ( I found some ‘Twatt’ harping on about them from 2011 onwards :) ) :D 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Click mode / deco range is brilliant. You can take a 4g 2-way switch and remove 2 switches and replace with intermediate / momentary push / other and it still looks like a generic switch. A1 ?

Rounded edges like MK logic and a very light switch action with a quiet ‘click’ rather than the chunky ones which ‘snap’ on / off. Quite important in a TF house so choose well ;)  

Big thanks to @ProDave for mentioning them elsewhere ( I found some ‘Twatt’ harping on about them from 2011 onwards :) ) :D 

Yes we have Click Mode in all places a "posh" switch was not deemed necessary.

• Like 1

We have Scolmore Click Definity (screwless) in stainless. The covers have little divots in the metal along the sides to hold them in place. I find the divots more distracting than screws would have been. I'm also not crazy about the retention system - some of them more "mush" into place than "click". It does depend somewhat on the rear insert being perfectly flat, which will only be the case if the surrounding wall is perfectly flat. We have brick slips on some internal walls, and it was hard to get the rear inserts fitted flush in some of these areas.

The stainless steel finish is also far more noticeable on white walls than white plastic would have been. I'd go for white if I were doing it again.

I know you're planning ordinary switches, but for others, I'll share our experience of the retractive (ie, momentary contact, spring-loaded) switches we used, which were needed to work with our home automation system. For my money the mechanism is far heavier than ideal. It's hard to double-click due to how heavy the spring is, and they're quite noisy unless you're very careful.

No way I'd spend the extra money on screwless switches if I were doing this all again! I think I'd go for high quality white plastic and spend the difference on something else.

My build is contemporary and I've gone for the click system mentioned by Nick. My doors and woodwork is all white so white switches look the least unobtrusive. They have a nice chamfered edge to the face plates and don't look clumsy. The sockets on the splashbacks will be dark nickel to blend in.