flimsy Eclisse pocket

mvincentd

I've just plasterboarded my Eclisse sliding door frame and the result is pretty flimsy.  I'm considering taking it all off and starting again with ply instead but i'm not convinced the same thickness of ply will make a load of difference.  Also the minimal depth of grab the supplied screws achieve into the steel frame (to avoid intruding into the pocket) make me unsure about choosing a much chunkier heavier ply thickness  (...and thicker material will necessitate more mitigation when it comes to the supplied lining kit too).

Interested in others experiences and solutions, thanks?

• Like 1

I agree it is flimsy and soundproofing is an issue with these pocket doors.  Glad I changed and only had one.  My carpenter used extra fixings on it and we used the heavier Habito plasterboard too which helped.  I only have one side skimmed as the other is in a guest w.c. and is fully tiled so that is extra thickness too.

I have just had two of these fitted: https://www.coburn.co.uk/product/hideaway/

My joiner really doesn't like pocket doors and said this one is the best of a bad bunch (from his experience)

The frame is encased in the middle of a 90mm partition and loos like 20mm.

Obviously this approach takes up more space, however the wall is still fully insulated and feels very sturdy

IMG_20190402_174322_resized_20190402_090343875.thumb.jpg.1d975899757b29dd0d2a8850a2e2448e.jpgIMG_20190402_174311_resized_20190402_090344122.thumb.jpg.96c45eb3cfdcc200b732f0c33416fe8e.jpg

IMG_20190402_174328_resized_20190402_090344549.thumb.jpg.bf35f0defb9112cd6c4bdc1e2ee8e587.jpg

IMG_20190402_174302_resized_20190402_090344313.jpg

Edited by ultramods
  • Like 2

I used an even cheaper pocket door system (from Hafele) which only had two steel vertical supports with timber inserts that clipped into the top and bottom horizontal supports.

Once plastered and skimmed, the wall is fairly solid but poor soundproofing - we used denser blue pb to mitigate as they're used in bathrooms upstairs. 

We have four single and two doubles (in basement, act as room dividers) and they work ok - the space saved offsets the hollow wall issue.

We have one sliding door and I would only use them where absolutely necessary. You typically need a wider door to achieve the same opening and they are slow to open and shut compared to regular doors. 

• 2 months later...

Delayed reaction to this post.  Been stupidly busy.  We have Eclisse pockets. All have ply then plasterboard and feel very solid with the double layer and a skim. They are a bit hollow sounding but the space saving convenience is worth it. All on en-suite bathrooms so hopefully noise won’t be too much of an issue and will be personal to the occupants of the bedroom / bathroom. ?

We were advised to put the ply layer on so that we could fix things to the wall. Its a bit stronger with the extra layer.

• Like 1